Horn issue!

-

matthew robertson

Reaction score
I’ve installed a new steering wheel which didn’t come with a horn button and I have an mini event tomorrow I’d like to go to but I have an issue where the horn is grounding somewhere in my steering hub but I don’t have time to fix it! Is it possible I can just unplug the horn? If so, where can I do that?

Depending on what year and what model you have, either on the front radiator yoke or under the battery tray.

No do NOT just unplug the horns. Pull the horn relay. The horn relay will be powered and will run the battery down, plus it might just burn up the horn relay

I am assuming you have an a-body. But even if you don't. If the horn blows when you hit it find the horn and unplug it. After you do that keep hitting the horn and you will hear a clicking noise . Find that relay that is clicking and unplug it. As stated above if you unplug the horn and not the relay . The relay could stay suck on and get hot without you knowing it is stuck if you don't hear the horn. This could possibly lead to a bigger issue. Smoke. And you know where there is smoke there is ????

No do NOT just unplug the horns. Pull the horn relay. The horn relay will be powered and will run the battery down, plus it might just burn up the horn relay

Correct!

The horn relay is located in the drivers side footwell just above the plastic kick panel.

Looks like this. Just unplug the connector until you get a chance to troubleshoot it.

upload_2022-4-29_9-35-58.jpeg

I am assuming you have an a-body. But even if you don't. If the horn blows when you hit it find the horn and unplug it. After you do that keep hitting the horn and you will hear a clicking noise . Find that relay that is clicking and unplug it. As stated above if you unplug the horn and not the relay . The relay could stay suck on and get hot without you knowing it is stuck if you don't hear the horn. This could possibly lead to a bigger issue. Smoke. And you know where there is smoke there is ????
X2 And here the other day you claimed that you never claimed to be an electrical expert!!!.

@matthew robertson ,welcome to the forum. I see you joined just a few months ago. I also have had a problem with aftermarket steering wheels. I had a friend ask me to perform a list of tasks on his 69 AMX, and installing a Grant steering wheel was one of them. I am pretty good with auto electrics, but I could NOT get the horn to work even with their horn kit. What car and steering wheel is this problem with?

This problem is right out of 1966. I don't remember, "Grant?" steering wheels in the mid 60's and 70's? Many of my friends and I had them and the horn button kits DID NOT WORK WELL on most of them. Part of the problem may have been that the horn "switch" was trying to close contact with the chrome wheel!!!

Thanks everyone for the help! Turns out all I did was miss a small spacer that spectated the hub about a quarter inch from the colum so the plate kept ground and honking the horn! It’s all sorted and the new wheel feels 1000% better and gives me more of the “street strip” feel I’m going for

A0C51379-F35A-4D15-9BB3-F2F59474FBE6.jpeg

E7F2DB3E-E205-4920-BABC-2A3C30B54F62.jpeg

-
Back