Horn Question

-

srg610

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just replaced my turn switch assembly on the steering column and was going to put the wheel back on. It's a cheap Grant, the GT I think. As I am sliding the hub for the wheel over the splines on the shaft, the horn goes off when the hub contacts the horn plunger switch. The whole original switch assembly was broken up, and I had only mounted the wheel to move the car around. I also can't seem to find the instructions on how to install the Grant. So, do I need to by-pass something?
Is the steering shaft in the column supposed to be grounded? I have 12.4 volts from the horn switch plunger when it's not even depressed. Is this right? I also have full voltage to the horn relay at the violet and black wires, and 12.4 from the green/red terminal back to the horn plunger, if this helps.
Thanks

Yep power up to the plunger. Switch completes ground to pull in relay turning on horn, therefore steering column has to be grounded.

Should be some instruction in the repair manual that says disconnect battery ground before removing steering wheel.

Another member sent me the instructions on a pdf.
Check the website, and if they are not there I can send to your e-mail.
www.grantproducts.com

Once its all put together correctly the horn button should make the circuit . Its normal to have a honk or ten while working on it. Just unplug the horn relay for now.

-
Back