Hose from Tank to Line 72

-

Mattwood440

Reaction score
Obviously someone changed some stuff back here. It's not getting fuel, and this doesn't look right. There is no vapor port in the tank or sending unit, and I know that isn't correct because turning it over creates a huge vacuum in the tank unless the fuel cap is off. Is the end of the fuel line supposed to almost parallel to the ground and have a 90° bend that points to the front of the car? Or is it supposed to be angled down? It was built in Oct 71. Correct pics would help a lot! Thanks.

PXL_20230910_233950036.jpg

PXL_20230910_234321084.jpg

PXL_20230910_234349175.jpg

What type of car are you working on? What engine? In your last picture there looks like a hard line just out of focus. Is that the line going to the carb?

Just twist the hard line around to line it up more with the sender nipple and use a short length of hose.

October of '71 build date makes your car a 1972 Model year.
Now, let's attack your issues.
1.) You're not getting any fuel because your line is kinked closed in at least 2 places:
1694395751104.png

2.) There is no vapor return port in the sending unit. You're thinking of aftermarket senders with a fuel return line.
The factory put the vapor return port (on cars equipped with EEC) on the upper tank:
1694396138950.png

Cars without EEC have the vent in the filler neck. It consists of a nipple in the filler, a short hose connecting it to the vent line which loops up into the C pillar, and looping back down along the filler and exiting the trunk through the filler tube seal and terminating in the driver's side frame rail.
3.) I think you have EEC, because this looks like the 1/4" vapor return line that would come from the front of your car (green circle):
1694396793528.png
Connect it to the tank vapor return nipple shown in the previous picture.
The red circle shows where the fuel line should be tucked behind the tank hanger strap, which will put the line more in alignment with the fuel pickup (sender) elbow, requiring just a small section of 5/16 fuel hose to make the connection.
4.) You then need one of these to connect the fuel tank outlet to the fuel line (it serves as a ground strap from the sender to the metal fuel line- that's why there is only one wire to the sender; it grounds to the body/frame via this connector):
1694397214023.png

Last edited:
October of '71 build date makes your car a 1972 Model year.
Now, let's attack your issues.
1.) You're not getting any fuel because your line is kinked closed in at least 2 places:
View attachment 1716140215
2.) There is no vapor return port in the sending unit. You're thinking of aftermarket senders with a fuel return line.
The factory put the vapor return port (on cars equipped with EEC) on the upper tank:
View attachment 1716140221
Cars without EEC have the vent in the filler neck. It consists of a nipple in the filler, a short hose connecting it to the vent line which loops up into the C pillar, and looping back down along the filler and exiting the trunk through the filler tube seal and terminating in the driver's side frame rail.
3.) I think you have EEC, because this looks like the 1/4" vapor return line that would come from the front of your car (green circle):
View attachment 1716140225Connect it to the tank vapor return nipple shown in the previous picture.
The red circle shows where the fuel line should be tucked behind the tank hanger strap, which will put the line more in alignment with the fuel pickup (sender) elbow, requiring just a small section of 5/16 fuel hose to make the connection.
4.) You then need one of these to connect the fuel tank outlet to the fuel line (it serves as a ground strap from the sender to the metal fuel line- that's why there is only one wire to the sender; it grounds to the body/frame via this connector):
View attachment 1716140231
I was apparently unclear in my initial post. I was using my phone and that was my fault. The topic is the rubber hose that connects the steel fuel line to the fuel tank sending unit on a 1972 Duster 340. I purchased this vehicle recently and determined that it would not start due to fuel not reaching the carb despite a working fuel pump. Upon inspection of the rubber hose in question I found it was collapsed. By removing the correct 1972-style fuel cap I determined the fuel tank was under tremendous vacuum. I was aware that the vapor return line, which you circled in green, led to the charcoal canister under the hood, and that it was disconnected by a previous owner. I then felt the top of the tank, which you circled on the pic of the new one, and discovered there is NO vapor return line nipple on this tank. Not knowing if that was a mid-year change to a vapor return line port which was integrated into the sending unit (which I saw in pictures of aftermarket units) I included the date of manufacture for clarification purposes (which ended up just being more confusing). I apologize.

When I said "someone changed some stuff" I was referring to a previous owner who clearly did not know what they were doing. However, I do not know how everything was supposed to be connected in the first place, either. The drawings in the multiple manuals I have are not good. I was hoping someone had an image of a correct one. From what you have said, it appears the fuel tank was replaced with an incorrect one and will need to be replaced. Yes, the ground straps will need to be replaced as well. I have verified that the fuel filler neck and cap are correct for 1972. What I am trying to do now is just replace the fuel line rubber hose in question to see if the engine runs with the fuel cap removed, because as of now I do not know if this engine is any good at all.

I removed the rubber fuel hose, trimmed and straightened it a bit, but it still requires an almost 180 degree bend and then another bend on the sending unit side to fit, which does not seem correct. I thought that if the the fuel sending unit (which I now know is actually the tank) had been replaced with an incorrect one, that maybe the steel line had also been replaced with an incorrect one. A pic of a correct one would help immensely. However the following picture was the only one I found on this very forum and it shows the fuel line in front of the tank strap. I believe the poster said it was from a Duster which was newer than mine.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Just twist the hard line around to line it up more with the sender nipple and use a short length of hose.
That is most likely what I will do before I replace the line this winter during the resto. Unfortunately my lift is currently occupied and it's a b---- to get leverage while laying on the ground. I just figured if Chrysler had some odd reason for making it this way from the factory I wouldn't screw with it, but I decided not to try and save this fuel line anyway so who cares. Thanks!

That is most likely what I will do before I replace the line this winter during the resto. Unfortunately my lift is currently occupied and it's a b---- to get leverage while laying on the ground. I just figured if Chrysler had some odd reason for making it this way from the factory I wouldn't screw with it, but I decided not to try and save this fuel line anyway so who cares. Thanks!
After looking at it, I believe @Professor Fate is correct in that the hard line is supposed to be behind that fuel tank strap. If you do that, you will move the fuel line back enough I believe where you will be able to get a short section of hose on it without bending it. That's what I would try first.

Hard line should be behind the fuel tank strap as stated above. Here is a picture from my 1972 Duster. Original tank and fuel lines. I've owned this car since 1981.

20230914_145435.jpg

@glenn340 FINALLY! THANK YOU! It looks like mine is also too horizontal, as well, whereas yours looks more like a 45° angle. When I put it back together I'll put it behind the strap and probably give it a tweak. Hopefully I can get this thing to run this weekend. Thanks again!

-
Back