hot rodded pedal car

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

My wife and are talking about getting a pedal car for our infant son . Im thinking a 32 ford deuce roadster my wife is saying mustang, we cant find a cuda body one. Maybe modifying the deuce to lower it a bit, cut an opening hood into it with a fake flathead V8. He is only 7 months old, but i want to get him something cool for when he is ready to "drive."

those electric power wheelz are pretty slow and all plastic junk anyways. I had a pedal car firetruck growing up, its been lost to the sands of time, but it would definitely beat any power wheelz in a drag race, 1 kid power beats amps.

Any of you have cool pedal cars for ur kids? What mods have you done to them? Any cool pix? Im lookin to get ideas for patricks new ride.

Matt

I had a Mustang pedal car (in about '67) - but the neighbors had one that looked kind of like an old roadster style Indy car - and it was chain drive - waaaaaaaay faster! I was always angling to switch rides when we were playing. Guess I figured out back then I was a muscle guy, not a Kustom guy. :)

I was actually thinking chain drive. Now how do you hook up a coaster brake with one of these? I know schwinn made a 3 wheeler with a basket on the back. Maybe adapt one of these. Dump the stock pedal car crankshaft type rear axle and pedal rods in favor of a straight axle w a sprocket. Use a bike crank and pedals. Prob have to have chain tensioners too. Am i over thinking this a bit?

Wow, memories came flooding back about the fire truck pedal car I had as a very young kid - so many years ago maybe it should have been a covered wagon!
I remember it had removable ladders on either side.
I used to tie an empty quart milk carton onto the back of it for my "gas tank", poke a small hole in the bottom of it with a nail, fill it water and go tearing up the sidewalk. I'd peddle as fast as I could until the "gas" ran out and then see if I could coast all the way back home to refill and do it all over again.
Thanks for the memories!
Will be watching this thread to see what memories you build for your little one.

The one my neighbors had was direct drive - no coaster brakes. IIRC, we had 'Flintstone brakes' on it (our feet through the bottom).

I think the Kett Car my kids had was direct drive (chain) and had a hand brake on one rear wheel (as with a Big Wheel)

It was similar to this: http://www.kettlerusa.com/toys/pedal-vehicles/4295#

I saw this at a Good Guys show a couple years ago. Probably wouldn't be too hard to make a pedal out of it. Or better yet, motorize it!!:burnout:

Attachments

• wheel barrow rod 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 122
  • barrow rod 4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 136
  • barrow rod 3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 132
Pretty cool looking stroller. Still gonna try for the model A roadster, my wife is now looking at the 55 chevy pedal car. Black w flames. She doesnt like the look of the 66 mustang pedal car. I like the ford deuce one as it looks like he's going to sit more inside it, than on it. Im just going by what id want if i was a kid. Maybe an opening hood, and fake flathead, with 2 fake strombergs to scale of course.

-
Back