Hotchkis leaf springs on a 67 dart..question

-

Fabbr

Reaction score
Im looking at the hotchkis 1" lowered leafs for my dart, i have an 8 3/4 rear and have done the leaf spring relocation, are these a bolt in? My concerns are the geometry correcting shackle that comes with this kit, as my front is a box with a stock hole location and a 1 3/4 lowering hole above it, the rear is of course through the subframe. Any input would be appreciated...thanks!

Im willing to do some fab if needed, do these sound like a good choice? They would match the factory springs as far as pin location and pin measurement from front and rear eyes?

I think someone had and issue with the thru bolt diameter. Check what the size of your relocated hole is compared to the Hotchkis. Call Hotchkis.

That sounds about right i remember reading something about a larger rear bolt, that would be an easy fix. I called hotchkis last week and got a young guy on the phone, i told him my application and concerns, he couldnt come up with measurements for me..i was a little suprised. In the pictures it looks to be a stock-ish pin offset, i will try another call to hotchkis, and if i cant get any info i may just go for it and fab as needed, thanks.

Hotchkis springs use a 1/2 inch bolt. Factory 5/8 inch. I have Mopar offset spring kit that uses 5/8 bolt. I can not use the springs. With the frame relocation kit I think it would be no problem.

When ever calling Hottchkis ask for Arron Ogowa. He is the engineer that designed all the mopar parts . He should be able to answer all Questions.

Hotchkis springs use a 1/2 inch bolt. Factory 5/8 inch. I have Mopar offset spring kit that uses 5/8 bolt. I can not use the springs. With the frame relocation kit I think it would be no problem.

The same size bolts from my original 68 340 Formula S leaf spring hanger fit in the Hotchkis front hangers.

Attachments

• 3_12_11Sm04.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,207
The same size bolts from my original 68 340 Formula S leaf spring hanger fit in the Hotchkis front hangers.

I believe that would make it a 1/2" bolt. Stockers were 1/2", but the super stock springs are 5/8". Not sure about XHD's or others, my XHD's are 5/8" but they're also e-body springs, and e-body stuff is all 5/8".

You can't fault Hotchkis for making front spring hangers the stock bolt size.

The offset and relocated front shackle kit are made to run with aftermarket Super Stock springs that use the B/E body bolt diameter.

Most buyer of the Hotckis springs are going to have stock location. And it is VERY helpful to have a spring hanger interchangable with the stock hanger. For instance, I have very short tires on my Barracuda 24.5" diameter. So with the Hotchkis dropped front hanger it was too low in the rear. So I just bolted up the stock front hanger. All good now.

You can't fault Hotchkis for making front spring hangers the stock bolt size.

The offset and relocated front shackle kit are made to run with aftermarket Super Stock springs that use the B/E body bolt diameter.

Most buyer of the Hotckis springs are going to have stock location. And it is VERY helpful to have a spring hanger interchangable with the stock hanger. For instance, I have very short tires on my Barracuda 24.5" diameter. So with the Hotchkis dropped front hanger it was too low in the rear. So I just bolted up the stock front hanger. All good now.

Makes sense to me, points to them for keeping it the same as stock. Although, I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of folks have already opened up the stock hangers to 5/8" for other aftermarket springs.

Stock 340 springs they use 5/8 bolt. You can see the difference in the bracket comparison picture.

Should be fine you just use the supplied hardware. I cant as my springs are offset. I dont know if im going to use them or send them back. I will have to relocate my spring perchs to stock location.

-
Back