Hotchkis Total System

-

70greendart

Reaction score
Looking to see if anybody has ever used the Hotchkis Total Vehicle Suspension System. I have a 70 Dart 360, about 325HP, stock set up mostly.
727 Tranny 8 3/4 355 rearend. A suspension upgrade is my next step. Plan to use Performance Suspension Technology polygraphite front end kit and replace anything near needing it. Have no sway bar on front or rear currently so need both. I use this car for cruising, no drag racing, but they have a real nice road track opening near me so some time on track would be fun. I like the stock height and appearance. Does anyone have experience with Hotchkis or another way to do this upgrade? Heard a lot of good about both PST and Hotchkis but never using this complete kit. Money not a huge factor but want my dollars worth, mostly looking for good handling on the street. Most of you know a stock 70 Dart is not much on handling the road.

I use it.

And abuse it.!!

The PST stuff uses solid Addco sway bars that have inferior mounting for 67-72 sway bar systems. And the solid rear sway bar is not adjustable and barely acceptable mounting. The PST ball joints are not Moog to my recollection.

P.S. the exhaust system has been completely replaced since these pictures.

Attachments

• Hotchkis11_22_10TVSBuildSm14.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 463
  • Hotchkis11_22_10TVSBuildSm18.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 480
The rear springs are made specifically for handling/road racing. They have two thick supporting leaves under the front eye AND one thick leaf over the front eye. The two under resist wrap up and create a solid like link. The one over is very special in that is resist rear wheel hop under heavy braking.

The dropped front spring hanger were too much for my tiny diameter tires, 24.5" diameter, and my TTI headers. So I put stock hangers back on. That was my particular and strange combo though.

Attachments

• Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm37.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 460
  • Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm38.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 457
  • Copy of PICT2072.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 489
USING the Hotckis TVS out at Willow Spring a couple of months ago at Willow Springs....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTT--mGlpTY"]YouTube - ‪Spring Fling Speed Festival 2011: '68 Barracuda "S"‬‏[/ame]

Mounted the little camera on the valence to watch what is going on down there at 135 mph! The rattling noise is the camera against the valence.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je5oeamQ_uw"]YouTube - ‪68 Barracuda Hotchkis TVS suspension cam‬‏[/ame]

ABUSING the Hotchkis TVS system going out on the track first time with a new motor with 200 more HP and TQ than I've every had before. AND getting on the gas in the wrong time at the incorrect placement on the track.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJW-YvipFYE"]YouTube - ‪Willow Springs shake down‬‏[/ame]

The runs above were after this slide. I ran it all day after that and about 850 miles since. An accomplished instructor drove it hard and liked it. Had it up to about 6200+ rpm, which I'm sure he was pulling 140mph plus at the end of the straights. Said I needed brakes and tires next. And less gear. I've got about 2K to 3K miles on the TVS so far.

Thanks for the help and the great videos. Tells me what I need to know. It will probably do what I want and more. Searched several post and all looks good. Also it is not a bod price when considered against everything else I have spent getting to the car I want.

That setup seems to work really well . Worth the money .Amazing what can be done with the new mini cameras ,really a giant help in tracking down problems . Great videos !

I'm planning on going with the Hotchkis system on my Swinger. Are you running the stock torsion bars on your barracuda or should I plan on going bigger?

I'm planning on going with the Hotchkis system on my Swinger. Are you running the stock torsion bars on your barracuda or should I plan on going bigger?

I went up to 1.12 T-bars at the same time I went to the whole Hotchkis setup. Those are equal to the biggest 1.22 E/B body T-bars. I wanted and was ready to step to a very serious handling vehicle and get more out of it at track days. And I don't commute to work in the car like I did at one time with .99" T-bars. But I was actually surprised how nice it rode considering the jump in T-bars. 1.12" is three TIMES the stock 340 rate T-bars.

But for 12 years and 80K or so miles I ran .99 T-bars.

I'd suggest .99 to 1.03 T-bars to start.

Unless you are really trying to put together a real serious handling car going to track days, wide 245 or wider low profile tires up front (50 series or less), address oiling system, high bolster seats.

hello, great videos, inspired me no end for hope in the improvment in the handling of my 68 barracuda! im running a 440ci,not sure if this hampering me weight wise, have gone ally rad,intake,battery in trunk,ali waterpump.changed to 1.18 torsion bars when did engine swap,running a a 833 manual box,have a sway bar but id like the upper control arms and shocks.

hello, great videos, inspired me no end for hope in the improvment in the handling of my 68 barracuda! im running a 440ci,not sure if this hampering me weight wise, have gone ally rad,intake,battery in trunk,ali waterpump.changed to 1.18 torsion bars when did engine swap,running a a 833 manual box,have a sway bar but id like the upper control arms and shocks.

You need good shocks for those 1.18 T-bars. Shocks like KYB's with those big T-bars are just way over thier heads. A low level shock just can't control those.

Is it running now with that setup?

hello and thankyou for reply, yes all on the road, has monroe shocks, hellwig sway bar,avon zz3 225 tyres all round,massivley improved from when i had but so much more to do! its a street car not a straight liner,im liking the billstien shock as per test car are these up to the weight of my big block? i have seen a coilover conversion, so many choices hee hee ps what steering system were you using? dont really want to do rack and pinion,i have my original 25:1 steering box needing 16:1

hello and thankyou for reply, yes all on the road, has monroe shocks, hellwig sway bar,avon zz3 225 tyres all round,massivley improved from when i had but so much more to do! its a street car not a straight liner,im liking the billstien shock as per test car are these up to the weight of my big block? i have seen a coilover conversion, so many choices hee hee ps what steering system were you using? dont really want to do rack and pinion,i have my original 25:1 steering box needing 16:1

I think the ride will be better with better shocks. There are others that have ran that big of T-bar with KYB's and then went to better shocks and the ride improve greatly.

The Bilsteins will handle what you have. Theres a set running on the red 68 Valiant with 1.24" T-bars and can pull on older Z06 Vette's on the track!!

I have a 16:1 power steering system with a saginaw type pump. It's an old Mopar remanufactured steering gear. My other car has a firm feel stage III. I like that very much too.

Don't need coilover deal from what you have now.

hello, many thanks for the input, over here in uk its straight line and 727 drag race nuts not really my scene,if i want to go fast i get my bike out :happy2: im real lucky to have a manual box,the car is an ongoing but on the road project/love affair,had 6 yrs, reakon be another few before i really get it where i want,want all the handling sorted this year including the steering,move onto power increase next year then find i need better brakes! is the firm feel box a powered one?

hello, many thanks for the input, over here in uk its straight line and 727 drag race nuts not really my scene,if i want to go fast i get my bike out :happy2: im real lucky to have a manual box,the car is an ongoing but on the road project/love affair,had 6 yrs, reakon be another few before i really get it where i want,want all the handling sorted this year including the steering,move onto power increase next year then find i need better brakes! is the firm feel box a powered one?

Yes the firm feel box in my Dart is a powered box. The one in my Barracuda is the old discountinued Mopar Part Re-Manufactured power steering box.

morning, only non powered 16:1 i can find are the flaming river.wish i cheked out that track you were on last time i was stateside,gotta go earn $um now!

Autoxcuda You and few others have convinced me on the TVS. I am right now have the front fenders off and repairing rust issues and repainting the engine bay plus touching up some old issues. Then next step is rebuilding front end (any advice on rebuild kits, ENERGY PERFORMANCE ???) and install the TVS. ALthough a full kit would duplicate many things in the TVS??? I have a 360 in the Dart, any suggestions on shocks or should I talk to someone at Hotchkis for recommendations?
Thanks again

Autoxcuda You and few others have convinced me on the TVS. I am right now have the front fenders off and repairing rust issues and repainting the engine bay plus touching up some old issues. Then next step is rebuilding front end (any advice on rebuild kits, ENERGY PERFORMANCE ???) and install the TVS. ALthough a full kit would duplicate many things in the TVS??? I have a 360 in the Dart, any suggestions on shocks or should I talk to someone at Hotchkis for recommendations?
Thanks again

I like Moog parts. Get Moog though www.rockauto.com or a local parts place. Compare prices, it's really nice buying local.

The parts that don't come in the TVS full kit are pitman, idler, and lower balljoint.

I think the $400/4 Bilsteins are a really good value for a high performance shock. Better than Edelbrocks. On par with QA1's but not as expensive.

Doug Oliver is the guy to talk to at Hotchkis. He knows me and my car.

I agree with everyone else. Do it when you can. =D>

I went from no torsion bars front or back etc to slowly adding all of the goodies (no aftermarket tie rods/steering box/control arms yet). After adding each part i'd go for a test drive. Every Hotchkis or PST suspension part i've put on has been worth it. Car corners fantastic at slow or high speed. Handling and grip is predictable and positive.

Car was scary when I bought it. Lil' 14's up front, old shocks all around, no sway bars, and big block up front. I had to take sharp corners at 10-15mph so the car wouldnt dip and dive too much.

Edit: I had same experience as Autoxcuda in reference to the Hotchkis front spring hangers.....a lil' too low for me so I re-used old ones.

-
Back