Hours to convert to Manual transmission?

-

Shane65

Reaction score
hey guys, just trying to get an idea here.., I'm thinking about converting my auto 68 barracuda to manual, gonna need some help of a professional with a lift and the ability to weld in the floor hump.. what would you guys say the average install time would be, assuming you had all the parts.. How many hours? Trying to get a quote on the labor, just trying to ensure it's a fair quote...

I gathered up EVERY single part before I started, and did it in a day. Maybe twelve hours?

I gathered up EVERY single part before I started, and did it in a day. Maybe twelve hours?
You are about right on the money if you have the parts in hand and get after it and don't take long breaks, lunches, etc.

I'm doing an automatic to Tremec right now which is a little different but 12-15 hours with removing the interior, changing out the pedals, cuttting the floor which is the most time consuming part of the job, weld in the new tunnel and brackets the the center console, reinstall transmission for the 4-5 time, install the hydrallic release bearing kit, rewire the reverse lights and starter relay, replace speedo cable, reinstall new carpet, console, seats, seat belts, Oh measure and wait for new driveshaft, Bleed release bearing and clutch master cylinder. And the most important part at least a good hour or two for the road test.

There is alot you can do yourself, that is easy that will save you money.
Put the pedals in, it is time consuming, but you can still drive the car with the extra pedal, basic hand tools are all that is needed.
The hump, cut the floor out with a jig saw, prep it for welding, just stick a couple sheet metal screws in it until you can have it welded.

I changed my duster over in my gravel driveway, in about a weeks time working a couple of hours on it each day after work, it is actually really easy to do, the hardest thing is lifting the transmission up in.

It all depends, how skilled are You and the pro are at it. Do You indeed have everything You need, is everything You have correct and compatible, etc.??
Make a list and post it so if anyone here sees something missing they can alert You to it. Test assemble the whole works out of the car to be sure the fork/pivot/
throwout bearing/bellhousing are a matched combo. How about the reinforcing plate for the bellcrank pivot at the inner fender? I pieced Mine together from 5 different
sources, then again when I put it behind a 383 in an FMJ body, which required fabrication on a number of items. Like sireland67, I did Mine in the gravel driveway, took
2 1/2 evenings working late parked to driving again. Are You going to need another slip-yoke, longer driveshaft?

-
Back