How are the sales prices of older Mopars holding up?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Would anybody care to give me their opinion about how the sales prices of older Mopars are faring in this time of recession and, until recently at least, high gas prices?

Are people still buying?

Thanks!

I just bought a 68 Barracuda. Wasn't expensive as it needs work. From what I've seen sales are a little slower than before and some of the prices have been righted.

I watch Craigslist pretty regularly and there has been a slow down of Darts being posted. and a jump in ads that state need to sell by the weekend, or hit hard times and need to sell... Might be a good time to buy if your not hurting. Some people are letting go of there stuff even though they don't want to.

From what I have noticed it seems that all Mopars are coming down a bit by looking at carsonline, ebay etc. I don't think I could get what I gave for my Dart 3 years ago, but I don't want to sell it so it doesn't matter 8)

The heart of your question may be the market value of collectibles in general. In that respect the appraised values remain pretty much unchanged. Their are confirming reports out there with subjects such as art, wines, autos, coins, etc..
If you want to buy a street rod, driver, today you'll find some good deals but if you want a showroom, display, you can expect to pay full price.

The high priced cars seemed to have taken the hardest hit. I think people are still asking a lot of money, They just arent getting it.

Just had a bi-annual auction and auto-fest here, and the sales were WAY off the mark.........Very few sales in comparison, and the prices are coming way down in general.........Many guys are beginning to realize that in this current economic slowdown, a bird in the hand is definitely worth 2 in the bush.

The high dollar Mopars drew tire kickers and cameras........the mid's and A's drew lots of interest, but few sales resulted........Our Dart Sport 360 drew crowds, but no one made an offer........Really depressing.

I don't expect A's to drop much (except the ones that were overpriced to begin with, like the 25 thousand dollar Dusters with mismatched motors and stripes and the like)...........but the E's and B's are really taking a beating.

It will be interesting to see what the auctions do here next month. I would expect a significant hit in "clones" and anything that is not rare or top notch restored.......

The million dollar mopars are gone for now. Those who have them won't be putting them up for auction unless they're pinched hard.

I'm kinda glad it's simmered down for now 'car price wise' it just made everything seem out of reach .

I'm kinda glad it's simmered down for now 'car price wise' it just made everything seem out of reach .

Agreed. When I bought my Duster last year for $500 bucks delivered with a rats nest in the intake valley, I thought I had a deal. Actually, I still do, lol!:cheers:

I was able to buy a car that I was not able to buy for years, and in better shape. The problem I am having now is I cannot sell another car for a decent buck- I complain about it, but then I just take my Mopar for a ride.
20 year cycles, so make sure you retire before 2028.

I was able to buy this rust free car with beautiful interior 6 months ago for $1200.00 green valiant in my Avatar to me i thought i got a good deal for once in my life LOL

It seems to me like alot of the high dollar cars such as wing cars and E bodies and what not are taking hard hits and there are alot of people that seem to be selling alot of the higher dollar cars at lower prices to try and cut their loses. Like it seems to me like the people that bought them for "investments" are trying to cut their loses.

It seems to me like alot of the high dollar cars such as wing cars and E bodies and what not are taking hard hits and there are alot of people that seem to be selling alot of the higher dollar cars at lower prices to try and cut their loses. Like it seems to me like the people that bought them for "investments" are trying to cut their loses.

Exactly! D

I went to the Rod Run at Daytona over Thanksgiving, out of nearly 5,000 cars registered for the show probably 70-80% were for sale. Last year it was more like 30-50%. More people are thinking of getting rid of their toys, but it was still typical 'car show' prices on most stuff. The only thing that seemed to sell was screaming deals under $10K.

I am lookin for that 50k e-body, for 25k, but the guys that own them are not needing the cash. I also noticed that superbirds are not selling for less than they were a year ago.
We went to a Mecum auction in KC last weekend and maybe 35% of the cars met reserve. One guy sold 26 cars out of a 200 car collection. He sold a b5 bird for 90k. A very nice AAR clone went across the block and sold for 28k, no reserve. I still regret missing that one.

A very nice AAR clone went across the block and sold for 28k, no reserve. I still regret missing that one.

Don't be too sad Indy.......many of those "auction cars" that appear to sell too cheap are bought back by the owners.....:toothy10:

from what ive seen,its the high dollar stuff that has taken the big hit,the A bodys seem to be holding their own in the mid to high teens,but the m-codes,v-codes and hemi's have lost around 40%,its time to buy.

"many of those "auction cars" that appear to sell too cheap are bought back by the owners"

6pk2goDemon, sorry to be dense, but how does that work, exactly? Does the seller just wind up paying the auction fees and nothing else?

Just looked in the Auto Trader the other day. People are still asking 8K to 9K for 73-76 S/6 A-Bodies. So it is holding up very well I would say. At lest is peoples minds any way. LOL

I am actually in the market to buy a Dart right now so this is very interesting to me. I'm completely new to A-Bodies.

Asking price and actual sale prices are very different. You have to look at what is selling and what price they are being sold at. It may look like prices are holding, they can ask for market if they want but it is going to sit a long time right now. Look how long the same cars are staying on Ebay. I've been watching some of the same cars for almost a year.

We have huge discussions about this on the Viper and Ebody forums everyday......for the bigger $$ cars nothing is selling right now unless your willing to take a bath.

The Darts to me seem to be the most stable and the people are fair with their asking prices for parts. You guys are good to each other. I like it here.

Whereas I went to buy some screws for my dash installation for the Challenger, guy pulls out an old bag with 4 rusted screws, I pull out some change to pay him.....he then ask me for $45.00!! When I looked at him like he was crazy....I was told these were screws from a 70 Hemi Cuda....I told him I don't care if you pulled them out of TinkerBell's butt and they are sprinkled with fairy dust..... also wanted $345 for a door handle!!!....man...I want to put these parts on my car.....not have sex with them!!

Sorry.....rant over.....selling my Challenger.....buying a Dart

Ahh.....that felt good.

"many of those "auction cars" that appear to sell too cheap are bought back by the owners"

6pk2goDemon, sorry to be dense, but how does that work, exactly? Does the seller just wind up paying the auction fees and nothing else?

Not a dense question at all......Besides the entry auction fee (by the way, prime time = more $$$) there is an 8-10% commission paid by both the buyer and the seller on the final sales price. Very common practice to make sure your car doesn't go for less than you want from "what I am told".....lol. This is for the "big auction" and not necessarily for all of the others.

Several years ago, they would allow a "reserve" price and charge you a higher commission just like ebay, but they changed to a "no reserve" only auction and that's when "buying your own car back" became more common place.

-
Back