How bad is this? ( Clutch Drum )

-

Chrippa

Reaction score
Just took apart my 727 for an inspection/overhaul.
Its my first time and while inspecting the interior parts i found this on the inner bore of the front clutch drum:

clutchdrum.jpg

Im currently reading the TF727 Transmission book as im doing this and it said in the inspection note that damage here is not good at all.
This scratch stops my fingernail easy while drawing it over the scratch.

Is this something to fix or can i let it be ? Just want to be on the safe side and take my time with this reabuild :)

Thanks everyone!

Chris

It's really difficult to tell in the picture you posted where the damage is because the pix is huge. Is it where the seal rides? If so that is bad and it probably won't seal right. I'd replace the drum. How many clutch discs does that drum have ? I have one or two extra drums that I saved that are good I'd sell resonable. What year is yours? That makes a difference because of the width of the bushing. Another thing, how many clutch discs does your drum have? Where are you located? Only worry about answering these last questions if you think you need a drum. Tracy

There are two sealing rings that seal on either side of that passage. Problems there can cause huge problems all thru the geartrain. If it were me, I'd replace it with a billet steel one that can take 5 or 6 fibers, and wont ever explode...

moper said:
There are two sealing rings that seal on either side of that passage. Problems there can cause huge problems all thru the geartrain. If it were me, I'd replace it with a billet steel one that can take 5 or 6 fibers, and wont ever explode...

I was thinking that as im already laying alot on the trans i might as well do it right with a billet steel one that probably last much, much longer than a used OEM drum !?

Does someone have a drum to recomend ? I found a steel drum at TCS Performance with a new piston for $510 that will hold 5 dishes , or a bigger one that will hold 6 dishes and is $645 .

Im thinking about this as im going for a trans-shield and a bolt in sprag i might as well replace this with a quality product when im at it and make the trans safer.

Thx for the offer fishy68, im still considering what to do as the trans will be raced alot. Il be in touch if i change my mind :)

If racing is in the plans the billet drum and bolt in sprague are deffinete major improvements. As is the saftey shield. Sorry but I can't help on prices. Haven't looked around for awhile. The place I would call first though is Andrews Racing transmissions. Talk to Chris. Look over at the right upper side of this page and you'll see their advertising banner. Just click on the banner and it'll take you there to get their ph #. Their right in line with prices with all the other good qualiy parts out there and believe me you want good stuff. Not cheap chinese junk. Chris is very knowledgeable and great to work with also. He can recommend exactly what you need much better than the parts monkeys at other places.

The car will be raced as much as time will allow :)
Im improving the engine alot with new rods and pistons and a new cam so i figure it would be unwise not to strenghten the trans :)

I have actually spoken to Chris Andrew via mail several times and was planning on giving him a call next week for new bands and dishes and everything else, but thanks for the tip anyway :)

-
Back