How can i get a title????

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
Sooo heres the story. I bought a 72 duster rolling body when i was 16. It didnt have a title. i was young and dumb. The body is one of the most solid cars i've seen. I got all excited so i bought it thinkin i'll get a title for it somehow. Well long story short life took over and i could never research or find out how to get a title for the car. I would love to get a title for the car especially since someone has offered me a straight up trade for it if i can get a title. Does anyone know how i could go about getting the title and btw its a New Jersey car. I live in pa. THanks any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last year my neighbor gave me a 84 s10 rolling body but it had no title. I went to the dmv and found out that you have to file a lost vehicle title report. Then you have to fill out some papers about the car and have a story on how you obtained the vehicle and have a inspector check out the vehicle. Then you send in the paper work and wait for them to send you the title (which i was told could take months and you might not even get approved).

It can take a lot of time so i ended up giving the truck back.

you are S.O.L. in PA it is not possible to get a title, in fact now you can not even transfer a title without the last owner being there in person with valid state issued ID
all you can do is use it for parts, and next time make sure you get a title AND transfer it,

on the up side, if it is in good shape, when you cut it up and part it out you should get a good price for the parts

Or sell it to someone in say Georgia where titles aren't issued on vehicles that old.

Or sell it to someone in say Georgia where titles aren't issued on vehicles that old.

even in states that don't use titles you need to have a transferable registration, they have closed the loop holes and made it all most imposable to get paperwork on anything that doesn't have paperwork anymore

there is a 70 dart shell for sale in the classifieds near philly that has a good title
if your car is complete you could use it as a donor car to build a nice dart
just a thought

Too bad you're not closer. Here in Iowa you can apply for a "Proxy Title". You have to fill out paperwork and post a bond to make it legal. They will do a previous owner search (which can be cool) and you will probably get your title in a month or so. A pain but it can be done. tmm

I would try Broadway title. If that doesn't work out for you, you can get the car titled in your name using a form similar to PA form MV-217. I could not locate the form, so it might not be available now. I thought about doing this before, but it would have cost around $2000. I decided to pass on the car after talking to a lawyer. Caferacerx is right about it being a parts car now. Good luck.

Missouri has always been a beyotch to get titles in, but it varies by state.

I had my lawyer file a petition, got me a title for under $300. You might contact a reputable lawyer in your area and see what they have to say. I fought Missouri for years and finally figured out that a lawyer was the easiest route.

Depending on how friendly the person is, You could call the state police and explain the situation, and have them locate the previous owner.

Once the previous owner is located (provided they're alive) you then file for a Lost Title, the title goes to the owner, and then the two of you take a trip to the local license/title place (around here it's called PA Auto Brokers) and then transfer the title to your name.

It all depends on how helpful the cop wants to be though. They can't provide that info to someone who doesn't have connections to the car in question though. (I know, I spoke with them a while back about a Fury 'vert I found) They couldn't help me, since the car wasn't in my possession or on my property. But if it had been, I could have had them search for the previous owner.

There are still ways to get the title here in PA, but there's all kinds of leg work/running and paperwork to go through.

it depends on state my shop is in Indiana I have gotten titles for abandoned vehicles takes about 3 months cost about 150-250 bucks. harder than it used to be but still straight forward. Ask a local towing co. they usually deal with abandoned cars all the time they can tell you what your options are for that state.

you could also go to a tag place and have them do a title search if you are sure it was titled in NJ, if you are lucky you may be able to find the previous owner and convince them to go stand in line at the NJ DMV and get a duplicate title, (I usually offer the previous owner $50 or $100 for their time and trouble)
or you could try here http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

Check your state's regs for lien sales, I've seen quite a few people go that route to obtain titles. Like everything else though, the rules vary from state to state.

im having the same problem in Colorado, im getting ready to bond for the title but it seems like its going to be a pain with all the steps they have here in Colorado.

Im gonna call my Tags place friends with the owner he said he would do a title search for me and see what he can do to give me a hand. Unfortunately im not friends with any cops that could help me out. It looks like its going to be a pain in the *** but i have the time to wait as it is not that critical to get it done asap.

-
Back