How can I tell if my car has the original paint?

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
Long story short I have a 72 dodge demon and was under the assumption it had the original paintjob. From what I understand about the paint jobs back then it was a single stage paint with no clear coat.

I had it detailed the other day and wanted to let him know to take it easy with the buffer since there wasnt any clear on it. Got it back from him and he did a great job but he mentioned he thought it was a repaint and that it had a clear coat on it. I bought the car for dirt cheap so I still got a deal on it regardless. I know very little about paint/bodywork so I was hoping there would be some tell-tale signs of a new paintjob or if it has a clear coat.

one easy quick way is to find an inconspicuos area and lightly scrape it, just a little bit. if the little bit you scrape off is white looking thats clear coat, if its body color its not cleared. theres other ways to be able to tell but thats just a quick little trick.

look for overspray on the wiper pivot to cowl seals.

i agree if there is clear on it its be redone. also look for over spray, and most of the time if you look close you'll see dirt in the paint somewhere and even sanding scratches undert he paint..

Well I found this trick off Meguiar's website:

To determine whether you have a clear coat or a single-stage finish perform this simple test.

1. Find an inconspicuous area to test, such as the lower rear quarter panel of your car's fender or inside the door jamb.

1. Clean this area first with car wash and water or Meguiar's Quik Detailer® or Ultimate Quik Detailer®. You don't want any dirt or grime to interfere with your test.

1. Using a small piece of white cotton, such as a piece of terry cloth towel, rub a little paint cleaner or Cleaner/Wax into the paint of this inconspicuous area.

After rubbing for a few moments, turn your cloth toward you and look to see if there is any color from your paint on the cloth. If you have a red car and you now have red paint residue on your cloth, this is a pretty good indicator that you have a single stage finish. If you have a red car and you don't see any red paint residue on your cloth, this is a pretty good indicator that you have a clear coat.

To be 100% sure, you should test in a couple of different areas.

Note: If you have a white, or very light colored car you should use a dark piece of cotton cloth and look for the color of your car's finish on it after rubbing some paint cleaner or Cleaner/Wax into the finish for a few moments.

I'm going to give that a try and see what happens. I'd be a little disappointed if the paint was not original but it still looks good. I guess the biggest problem I'd have is that I thought the defects in the paint were from the factory and considered it to be 'ok'...little orange peel, runs/drips in the paint, etc...

So instead of having an original paint job with defects from the factory, I'll just have a shitty paint job LOL

-
Back