how can ya tell??

-

jimmyjeep

Reaction score
Right now, I have the small block in my 66 b-cuda, that I got this week. I was told that its a 360. How can I tell if its a 318, 340 or 360 by looking, any way ???? New to the mopar sb family. I dont know where to look for the numbers. thanks

On the left side of the block you will get the castnumber(7 digits) and size of engine. The right side shows cast date and year.

ya I think my 440 in cast in the side, but I cant eyeball these, its kind of tight in there. Id pull the valve covers for the head casting numbers, but that wont help much if they arent the original ones. I didnt know if there was a oddity to look for or there was a number pad up front.

you should be able to see with a good lite i've done it with headers and stock manifolds try in the dark with lite shows up better i've got abook with headcasting #"s tells year+size covers 65-89 models if you want to know goodluck

The LA displacement is the last 3 digits of the casting number in the side of the block behind the starter. It will look something like XXXXXXX-360. The B/RB is a stamped number on a horizontal pad located on the driver's side at the juncture of the block and head. It sort of juts out from the front valley cover rail. If you are interested, the slant 6 displacement is stamped in the block deck at the right front corner (you have to pull the head). It will read XX225X VIN sequence number of vehicle. Those are the only sure places I know to look. Casting number decoding is iffy at best. Ma Mopar used the same castings for a lot of different things, and didn't always keep track of what went where this week. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

I've found it is stamped on all the small blocks I've seen on the drivers side front just below the head surface. Only problem is most times they didn't stamp it very good and it's hard to read. You'll most likely have to scrape the paint completely off and use brake or carb cleaner on it to even find it. My 79 360 block is stamped so lightly it's barely readable but it's there. The numbers on the side are always easier to read (unless crusted with grease and rust) but like you say there's not much room there to see. The ones on the front are easy to get at at least.

-
Back