How clean this.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok got the harness all tape up,but I need to know what to use to clean up inside this.I have used sand paper on the male end but what about the female side.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 465
I've used a small tooth brush size brass wire brush with good results, just have to work slow.

Pull each wire out of the block and clean one by one. Push in the closed side with a small jewelers screw driver to bend back the locking tang. I use a dremel with a wire brush to clean. Grease, re-bend the tang and reinstall.

Pull each wire out of the block and clean one by one. Push in the closed side with a small jewelers screw driver to bend back the locking tang. I use a dremel with a wire brush to clean. Grease, re-bend the tang and reinstall.

Sounds like more work,and the right way to do it,what kind of grease to use.Thanks.

I didn't mention this because it is a royal pain in the ***!!! VERY tedious, be careful as hell - you don't want to break ANY of this. If you go this route - dielectric grease.

tear 1/4" strips of emery or sand paper and fold it over so it's an inch x 1/8"
and work it inside some.

If you have the time, you can get new female terminals for a reasonable cost. $8 bucks on ebay for a 25 pack. Search DELPHI PACKARD 56 SERIES FEMALE TERMINALS.

CLR works pretty good and then dielectric grease it. Worked on mine.

Or you may want to go the way I did. It is so much easier to trouble shoot than the connectors are

Or you may want to dip the females into a bowl of Tarnex. then rinse it off

Attachments

• Firewall connector.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 386
If you decide to pull each you can get the terminals, just use the right tool to pull them so you do not break them. Been there.

If you decide to pull each you can get the terminals, just use the right tool to pull them so you do not break them. Been there.

And if you break or ruin one of the connectors, you should know where to find new ones. I found they are had to source

Be careful with any Tarnex or CLR and don't dip it too far. The liquid can wick up into the wire ends and stay there and can corrode the wires themselves. (Not any different from a harness being ruined by immersion in salt water.)

IMO, You've gotten that far you should remove each terminal, clean and close up the females, or replace them so they are tight again when plugged in.
Take good pictures of the connectors prior to removal for positive reference.
If I recall the flat side of the female connector has a prong that retains it in the socket that needs to be held flat in order to remove from the socket.
The male side terminals I think need to be squeezed to remove. Careful not to twist them as they can be stubborn.
A tool that is specific to the job is best.
If any connections caused melting of the socket it will add to your removal problems.

This is what I use, the green one.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 308
You can soak the whole piece in white vinegar if you don't want to take it apart.

Blasting cabinet with glass bead media and moderate air pressure worked for me.

-
Back