How close are the timing marks.

-

Reaction score
In measuring my timing tab/dampener relation ( with my degree wheel ) I found them to be off a bit. I plan to have the dampener reconditioned.

Someone on another forum made the comment below though and I would like to know what you guys have noticed with your own dampeners. Have any of you found them too be correct and at zero when measuring them with a degree wheel?

One of my balancer is off 1 degree and the other 3 degrees. ( two separate engines )

Quote: ..........................

One thing to consider is that the balancer hasn't slipped and this is as close as the factory marks will line up. Keep in mind that these marks on the balancer and timing tab are not perfect and being within one or two degrees is as close as the assembly line workers could get them themselves. They use impact wrenches to build these on the assembly line and don't even use torque wrenches either, and the whole engine is assembled in less than 5 minutes. You are spending a lot more time and using a lot more accurate tools than Chrysler did when they put it together.

When your truck was new and on the dealership lot, if you picked 10 exact same trucks as yours to check the timing on you would get 10 different readings, they are not all the same, just close enough to fall within the allowed range of acceptable readings. No engines are perfect from the factory, even today with all the high tech manufacturing. And to have your TDC mark be off by a few degrees is actually normal...........................................................................................................

If what is mentioned should be one of my concerns than Im going to assume that there is a good possibility that sending the dampener to damperdudes might only render me a different reading and may not necessarily be the spot on reading I am after.

No idea what the "factory tolerance" originally was. I would "guess" + / - one degree would be reasonable. The fact is, after 60K, you'd have that much in the timing chain.

I am not overly concerned with the 1 degree deviation, your right, I bet the chain is slap worn out on that engine so I should consider myself pretty lucky but the other engine/damper with the 3 degree issue has a new timing chain already installed.

one time while building a chryslet 392 hemi early type. i was using a 354 vibration damper. but the marks was on the wrong side of the block. so we made new ones. we did the math to find the length of the total making. then double checked against the 345 marks and the 392 marks. we used punch marks. like 5 punches for 10 degrees, 2 punches for 2 degrees apart. 3 punches for 5 degrees. we took all after noon to be sure it was as right as we could get it. it worked fine. but the old hemis dont like a lot of timing, on gasoline.

-
Back