How close should my fan be without a shroud?

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my slant does not have a shroud, and from what I understand, it's not necessarily mandatory for these engines. How close should me fan be to the radiator if I'm not running a shroud?

My stock 67 273 2bbl is like 1 to 2 inches.

Screenshot_20220830-222040.png

The closer the better if your not running a shroud. You do want some clearance since the motor mounts flex. Typically I shoot for about 1"

With a shroud you want half of the fan blades inside the shroud and the rest outside of it, distance to radiator with a shroud is mostly irrelevant, think of like a 1970 Monte Carlo with a small block. Without a shroud you want the fan as close to the radiator as possible, obviously where it will not touch with engine movement, and where you have room to put it on on take it off, you need enough room to screw in and screw out the bolts. 3/4" of an inch , as stated above should be good. IMHO you should always run a fan shroud, cools much better.

Thanks everyone. I measured and my fan is 1-1/2" away. 17 inch 4 blade fan on a 19 inch radiator. I have a spacer knocking around, but I'm not sure it'll fit here.

IMHO you should always run a fan shroud, cools much better.
I tend to agree, especially here in Arizona. The car came without one and I was thinking while I search, I could at least make sure it's at the proper distance. It's proving harder than I thought to find a 19" shroud, maybe I'll post a want ad.

You could go by the MP recommended 3/4" minimum spacing. Adding a shroud may well change that dimension.
You could also tape a piece of cardboard to the radiator so you don't skin your knuckles or damage the fins. Just don't forget to remove it!

I found a fan shroud for on a Slant with A/C. I believe I still have the shroud kicking around in my garage.

Yall, he's runnin hot goin down the highway at speed. You can throw the fan (and shroud if he had one) in the ditch at that point. The shroud is NOT his issue.

Here's the distance between my fan and radiator. I'd say "about 1-1.5".
FAN DISTANCE.jpg

No shroud as you can see. My car never goes past the first mark after the "zero" mark all the way to the left. The distance between those two marks is only about 1/4". You have another issue. I would guess a faulty thermostat. I run a 160 high flow in mine.

Just to be clear, I wasn’t looking for a shroud to solve my current overheating issue. I just thought it might not be a bad idea once I got this figured out. I agree with you, either my thermostat is bad or I think there might be air in my system still after I flushed the coolant.

Just to be clear, I wasn’t looking for a shroud to solve my current overheating issue. I just thought it might not be a bad idea once I got this figured out. I agree with you, either my thermostat is bad or I think there might be air in my system still after I flushed the coolant.
Ok cool. I was just wanting to make SURE you knew that the shroud would be a waste of money if you were looking for that to cure your problem. Certainly you can add one. I've thought about it myself, but mine just slap doesn't need it. Keep us posted on what you find.

At first, I thought the lack of a shroud might have been the problem, but as soon as I saw the temp didn’t go down at higher speeds, I knew it was something else.

Will certainly keep you updated. I was doing my best to work it out on my own, but you sniffed it out in my other thread…

At first, I thought the lack of a shroud might have been the problem, but as soon as I saw the temp didn’t go down at higher speeds, I knew it was something else.

Will certainly keep you updated. I was doing my best to work it out on my own, but you sniffed it out in my other thread…
Just tryin to help! lol

I’ve never known you not to want to help! :thumbsup:
There has been the rare occasion. Usually when someone looks a gift horse in the mouth bein a smartass. You're good at listenin, though.

Totally irrelevant , buddys small block chevy was overheating. Rebuilt rad,good shroud. When i finally dropped in to take a look, plug missing from back of carb. It all of a sudden became tune-able and ran way cooler. So i would think about condition of carb and base gaskets.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the carb. I'm a little busy with work the next week or so, but I think I'll be able to squeeze in a few hours under the hood.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the carb. I'm a little busy with work the next week or so, but I think I'll be able to squeeze in a few hours under the hood.
Is that Loyd Bridges sniffin glue? lol

Hey guys, my slant does not have a shroud, and from what I understand, it's not necessarily mandatory for these engines. How close should me fan be to the radiator if I'm not running a shroud?
Inch or a little closer, but no more than an inch. Jme.
I dont ever run a shroud, just fans within an inch and it works. Shrouds are great, domt get me wrong.. just not Always a must have.

Well, here’s one for y’all. Finally had time to pull the thermostat housing and what do I find? NO THERMOSTAT!!!

EFC27BCC-AB4C-4AF4-95E0-8485ED63758A.jpeg

-
Back