how difference does your engine make to the sound of your mufflers?

-

DRENO

Reaction score
Well,1 muffler split open today,I don't think the other is far behind.Car sounds like a gravel truck now.:angry7: Looking for new mufflers,but down the road,a couple years or maybe earlier I intend to improve the engine some,cam and some head porting,not too sure how much else.Should I keep that in mind when i look for mufflers or will it not make much difference?I read a few threads and everyone was recommending different mufflers.I am looking for some noise,not real quiet,kind of a hollow tinny sound as well?Does that sound right? I'm kinda lost.Help me FABO.8)

I just had my dual exhaust replaced. I was running Hooker headers with 2 1/2" pipe with cherry bombs. the exhaust was loud but sounded good when it was new but as time passed the bombs became too loud. i just had a new header back system installed
2 1/2" pipes with Flowmasters all the way back with new chrome tips all welded hangers. Sounds great!!!! not too loud at idle but really deep on the highway at cruising speed. Didn't swap out the Hookers, they are only two years old.

If you want noise and resonation and tinny and that "rocks rattling around in a box" sound, yes, any of the chambered mufflers will provide it. The fewer the chambers, the more of these you can expect.

If you want noise and resonation and tinny and that "rocks rattling around in a box" sound, yes, any of the chambered mufflers will provide it. The fewer the chambers, the more of these you can expect.

Hehehhe, rocks..

I recommend one 4" straight pipe. So dual 2.5 inch into one 4 inch.. I am doing this on my rig..

Our Jensen with the 440 mostly bone stock has block hugger headers into 2.5s with H pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters all the way out the back. It sounds really good. Deep and not raspy on the top end, cause the top end is 5k, also probably because it is running 7.9 to 1 compression so it doesnt stir up the rocks too much..

I think one of the more popular mufflers would be a flowmaster of some sort.

But I personally love the sound of hooker super comp mufflers......that is probably what I will go with

-
Back