how do I adapt 5x4 with 1/2"X20 stud to SS cragars

-

wlecat

Reaction score
Bought a wildwood kit that allows 5x4 BP but comes with 1/2"x20 lugs
My 14x7 SS cragars with 5x4 bp only take the 7/16" mag lugs (.592 shank dia) and 1/2" lugs are thicker diameter (like .668 shank diameter) any practical suggestions other than buying new 15" ss cragars and tires.?

Called the Willwood tech dept.; they were of "Big Fat ZERO" help.
"Dude, (my injection for the drone looking at the screen and not thinking)" "all our studs are 1/2", they're better than 7/16"" they had nothing and no clue.
Why bother offering 5X4" without at least an option for 7/16 studs (fire the engineer!).
Looks like my only option is to ream the existing wheels to fit the 1/2" mag lugs.
Has anyone done this? Any adivice

I upgraded the 7/16 studs to 1/2 inch on my SBP axles. I had to drill the drums out, but the steel Rallye wheels worked as is. Ehrinburg says the 1/2 inch studs are twice as strong as the 7/16. If you can rework the aluminum wheels, that's the way to go.

Called the Willwood tech dept.; they were of "Big Fat ZERO" help.
"Dude, (my injection for the drone looking at the screen and not thinking)" "all our studs are 1/2", they're better than 7/16"" they had nothing and no clue.
Why bother offering 5X4" without at least an option for 7/16 studs (fire the engineer!).
Looks like my only option id to ream the existing wheels to fit the 1/2" mag lugs.
Has anyone done this? Any adivice

I am not familiar with Wildwood parts, are the studs pressed in? If so what about looking for a 7/16" stud that has the same shoulder as the 1/2" studs they are using?

Okla is on it, they make plenty of weird studs with big knurls and small threads. start looking. Drilling out SS's will kill value to next dude who tries to runs them.

Willwood use 1/2" screw in studs.

I would open up the hole on the wheel just enough for the wheel to fit providing the nuts, washers, and/or taper is correct on the larger 1/2" lug nuts.

Willwood use 1/2" screw in studs.

I would open up the hole on the wheel just enough for the wheel to fit providing the nuts, washers, and/or taper is correct on the larger 1/2" lug nuts.
Right, Willwood use 1/2" screw in studs, and they're hardened. Amongst many angles, I also want to be able to have one spare that will fit all the wheels and studs.
Today I have a local machinist experimenting with turning down the shank of the 1/2" mag lugs. He thinks it will work if we can get enough threads into the head of the lug.
If not maybe he can custom thread some bolts to work.

Right, Willwood use 1/2" screw in studs, and they're hardened. Amongst many angles, I also want to be able to have one spare that will fit all the wheels and studs.
Today I have a local machinist experimenting with turning down the shank of the 1/2" mag lugs. He thinks it will work if we can get enough threads into the head of the lug.
If not maybe he can custom thread some bolts to work.

I would rather have custom made studs rather than turning down the lug nuts.

I would still be looking at this possibility. This one has a knurl size of .570" and this was my first try to look for a stud. There may be bigger knurls out there if you do some research.

Attachments

• yuredfgd.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 151
the hubs are aluminum and threaded...

I saw where they were threaded but no one had said they were aluminum. I would be on Wilwood to machine the correct hubs with the 7/16" studs. This is an issue that needs corrected for others also so their engineers need to design the parts correct.

Ran into same problem this winter, went to Wilwoods on 65 Dart 9" spindles. Had Cragars, looked into machining wheels or different studs. Finally took off Cragars and sold locally and bought new Cragar Chrome Quick Tricks to replace. They were $100 less per wheel then Cragar SS and have a nice different look for car. Made enough on wheel sale to buy new wheels and break even. All done now, wheels look great and car stops great, still was a pain in the *** though!

I give up, took the lugs and tapped them to 1/2-20 and put the wheels on, but the 14" wheel hit the caliper so we had to space them 1/16" and the stud couldn't make it into lug head. 2 of the lug heads sheared off in the socket tightening them. I can only imagine what the stress of a hard turn would be. So if anyone's interested I will have a pair of brand new 215R70-14 BFG T/A radials on decent SS cragars for 5X4 7/16" studs and another pair same but not as good shape, (but will clean up nice). Wilwood needs to cover ALL the options, even the bastard 5X4 - 7/16 for 14" rims! BTW they sent 5X4 spacers that don't fit 5X4! Wilwood gets 2 fails for that kit!

-
Back