How do I find out what tranmission I have.

-

TCFAM

68 Dart GTS 340
Reaction score
68 Dart GTS 340 Auto on the floor, do I need a picture or vin for a transmission identification? If the guy I brought the springs to does not have an aswere by end of week I will need to order them and they want they trans type.

trans%20pans%20difference.jpg

ABodyJoe posted the correct shapes for the pans of the 904 and 727. This is the best way to tell which transmission you have. Tedsweet is correct in saying if it is a factory GTS 340, it came with a 727.

However, people are doing great jobs of visually cloning cars. Take your VIN and use the Mopar VIN decoder at the top of the page to make certain that you are dealing with a factory GTS 340 and not a well done clone.

The VIN does not record transmission information. The body tag and build sheets are the best ways to tell what kind of transmission originally was installed in the car.

So a number should be on the transmission that matches the body tag and or build sheet to see if it is original. My brother has a 77 power wagon but two transmissions and wants to know if one of them is original with the truck.

-
Back