How do i get old brake fluid out of lines?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Converting 10" Drums to KH non-power Disc and I have old MC off so what's the easiest, cleanest way to flush the lines of the old, very dirty fluid? Thx

Open up the bleeders (or take them out) and blow with compressed air if you have a compressor.

you can also suck them dry by adapting a spray bottle nozzle on to each line and squirting the fluid into a jar.

god that sounds dirty lol

yep that works, then flush out with new fluid, probably use more that just bleeding them. After all that, keep your eye on things, that much of a shock to it's system (being all cleaned out) could initiate leaks from most anywhere especially old wheel cylinders and the master. You should also inspect the lines well to check for corrosion.

You might also want to think about flushing them with a high grade reagent alcohol (91-99%) to get any residue out. The alcohol will evaporate after you have flushed them out.

I would also refill the master cylinder and flush clean DOT 3 at least one time. Then refill and bleed RR, LR, RF, and lastly LF.

Thanks. The lines were new in '95. I bought the smaller wheel cylinders for the back drums. Those will be new. I do have a compressor to blow thru.

After you blow them out you can spray brake clean into the lines then blow it out again to get dirt and other crude out of the lines.

Brake fluid is 100% water soluble. Just flush it out with water and blow them dry with compressed air.

-
Back