how do i get out of it without being rude

-
Rani, Congratulation's on graduating collage and I would guess that your parents are very proud of you and want to reward your hard work with a graduation present. I would Thank them and accept it graciously. You can use it as a commuter car to work with the safety of air bags and other safety features...And it will keep the mileage off of your real loves...Bill :cheers:Win win situation

Rani i am going to try and explain this in a way that all can under stand. my grand parents live through the great depresion save and pitch pennies so that their kids would have food on the table. with my family most of their kids went to work for GM at the ages of 18 made lots of money. my generation went one of two ways some made lots of money or the rest was crushed by the econmie so i would smile an say thank you. keep the old cars around and drive them on the week ends.

Mebbe if u explain to them how much you love your darts, mebbe they would be willing to apply some money towards rehabbing one of these. New paint, carpet, upholstery, rechrome bumpers, mebbe a nice new V8, some wheels, and go thru all its working systems to make sure its reliable and safe. This is a win win for all of you.

You get one of your cars all fixed up nice as a daily driver. So now you got a classic car thats really nice looking and ur parents feel a bit better about you driving an older car as long as everything has been gone thru and is safe.

Think of it as the automotive equivalent of what we do in my industry with aircraft. We do whats called a heavy check or D check. Airplane up on jacks, and pull it apart. Inspect and replace all worn or questionable parts is a major part of a heavy check, theres other aspects of it as well. Structural repair work goes on too.

Think of all the mechanical parts on your dart like your doing a heavy check. Put it on jacks, go thru all the suspension parts, change out the brakelines and components for new parts, upgrade everything at this time. Go thru engine, transmission, wiring etc. inspect/replace everything thats worn, or questionable. Replace rusty floorpans etc. Lots of repop parts for darts out there now so it shouldent be too hard.

Come up with a gameplan and show it to your folks about how you would rather rehab one of the darts to make it reliable. Ask dad to help you so you can get it done quicker with extra help. They will appreciate your honesty, mebbe u can sweet talk em into a crate 360 from mopar performance for this. Its a new reliable engine ;)

If all else fails, sweet talk em into a new challenger, tell em u like the way those look better

My 2 cents? Get the new Dart, thank them profusely and enjoy it as a daily driver. The money you save on gas can go towards your old Mopars! I have two old Mopars and I love driving them. My dd doesn't have the fun element my Mopars have, but I love the gas mileage and reliability of my 2.3 Ford Fusion.
As long as the new car isn't a control issue for them - and you said nothing to indicate that it was - Enjoy your new Dart!

A new car great for the daily grind in traffic. It will help preserve the old iron you love, for the special driving occasions, for a whole lifetime of use.

Accept their gift with gratitude, enjoy the benefits it gives you and take care of it.

That's your gift to them.

maybe they would consider putting the money into having your hotrods updated, all of them painted, new interior, tires, rims, what ever you have in mine, etc. at any rate you need to sit down with them and have a heart to heart talk and tell them how you feel.

Not sure how to answer this one. I can totally see your point but understand where they are coming from. Having a new car as a DD is a great thing. The drive on nice days with the classic is soooo much more rewarding. I will say giving is easier then recieving things. I always feel bad receiving things. If you really don't want the new car you have to talk to them about your feelings. They sound like the type you can talk to. Another gift that's hard to find. Good luck!

So, where are the photos of the new car and it's owner, LOL?

Tell them you will take the Dart but you get to pick the color...:) Actually a strip down Challenger may not cost too much more.
They want you to be safe and I would be concerned about my daughter's driving and old car all the time, but they are not mechanically inclined as you are. So it's a big different. Plus I live in the big city and having the newer safety features are a plus.
Since you have graduated are you having to commute more or are you planning on commuting more? Maybe they are looking at your future plans.
Get one with a manual tranny and I bet it will be a fun car in CO.

Ust'a be an old sayin...........

.................."Never look a gift horse in the mouth".................

Rani, congratulations on having such loving adoptive parents. Grats also to you for graduating and being the strong and talented person you are. Showing up for job interviews in an obvious "ratty old car" only works if there are no windows in the place and nobody comes out to greet you or walks you out afterward. But I think showing up in an obviously well preserved classic with good paint and lots of sparkle and shine might well make a good impression on people you'll want to work with. A new car won't hurt you in that situation, however I don't think it will do you a lot of good either. Maybe a really well turned out classic Dodge pickup, maybe a 1930s or '40s with suspension upgrades and disk brakes that could be a parts hauler as well. (OK, OK that's what I want!) but you get the idea.

Ultimately it's your decision, of course. Lots of thoughtful suggestions have been offered in this thread. Make a decision you'll be happy with! And think of this one! BC

Attachments

• 1938_dodge_panel+.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 202
This is a story from my life, my parents had me late in life [after loosing their first child] I as an only child was very protected I had very few toys, I was not even allowed a wagon or tricycle [my parents fear of my being injured] aside from those things I was well cared for, my parents worked their asses off to keep a roof over our heads, food in our mouths and medical care for us, when I graduated high school my parents insisted that I go to college I sat them down and explained how I never really cared for school and I only finished to fulfill a promise I made to them to graduate. I thanked them for everything they sacrificed to take care of me and said take that money and enjoy your life ya'll earned it I never was able to tell my father how much I appreciated him he passed away while I was in Korea and I'm not sure if my mother ever listened to me when I told her prior to her passing. Those people are saints and love you very much this is a decision only you can make, their love for you will help them understand if you refuse their offer. My personal opinion is to decline their offer [it would make me feel like I owe them more than I already did] why fix something if it ain't broke if you are comfortable in your life leave it alone. Just my 2 cents.

Pretty cool to hear this Rani! Your fortunate to have good adoptive parents that are watching out for you. Now get in that Dart and have fun for now and when nobody is paying attention,stuff in a Hemi!

I like daredevils answe best so far. Reassure them that you are not declining the car out of disrespect. Or you could tell them that it's too small and you have no leg room! Lol I'm sure they would believe that!

I'm so sorry but I did not answer your question.

I would have a heart to heart talk and tell them your initial feelings are you really don't need the Dart - note it is don't need not don't want it. But you also need to ask them if you are missing a reason for needing a new car. As many pointed out it may be for safety and reliability or for making a good impression on an interview. But whatever their reason you need to make sure that if they have a concern then you should consider their feelings in this matter.

Also you need to be prepared for a reason from them that you do not expect. If this happens just say that they have given you something to think about and you need time to process things.

I hope this helps.

Wow.

My mom wrecked my '68 Charger that I worked min. wage for, before I could drive it.

When I see a new car, I see busted knuckles, timing belts, electric crap that breaks and extortion at the parts counter.

I'm with you.

While I think this is a very nice gesture, you may just consider getting a low milage 4x4 like a Jeep Cherokee (they are everywhere and they are dirt cheap), to get you through the winters here.

I know they don't salt, but mag chloride sucks to clean up and it's not the skies that you have to worry about, it's the idiots who like to drive sideways when they turn gray. There were a few ghost-white knuckle moments that I had in the Scamp, last winter. One from an out-of towner who kept over correcting in his 4Runner and made everyone, including me, come to a grinding halt in sleet with no traction. I've never pumped brakes so fast.

I think you should get something, but maybe not that car. My mom bought a PT cruiser. I've done two timing belts and a water pump on it, the sunroof will not work, no matter what I do, half of the bulbs in the dash keep burning out and the power locks don't work.

After the engine fell and trapped my hand between itself and the triangular engine compartment, when the motor mount and jackstand had a disagreement on their awkward shapes, I vowed never to work on it again and I will never work on another FWD timing belt car.

New car, sure. Dodge Dart? No thanks.

The hesitation in accepting a large gift is evidence of strong character not so common in the younger generation. Cudos to you.

Rani, It sounds like your parents are doing this out of love and concern. I really like the old cars too but they are not a safe as the new vehicles. I am sure your parents care enough to listen to you so sit down and talk to them. You can explain to them why you don't think you need the car discuss you plans for your old cars and talk to them about instead using some of that money to advance your projects. If you act like and adult and talk to them rationally they will treat you like an adult. You will most likely be pleasantly surprised by how things work out.

Accept their very generous gift with all the grace and love for them that you have. Then respectfully, (not that you would be any other thing), ask them to please ask you about any other gifts they may have in store. That way you can hear what they have to say and you can express yourself beforehand and hopefully avoid the discomfort you are feeling right now. And one more thing........maybe they feel that you DESERVE a nice new car!!!!!!

Tell them to drop dead and go to hell. You don't want the car.

Because I have news for you. You might as well do that if you are going to refuse. If you are polite about it, you will be doing the same thing only being nice.

Lemmie tell you something. I know a little bit about adoptions. They CHOSE you. You were not born of them. That is perhaps the greatest privilege one can bestow on another. We don't get to choose our birth parents. Some people are born onto a family of buttholes. You were CHOSEN out of love to be their daughter. You should let them do this for you, because it will bring them joy and happiness. You don't have the right to take that away from them. Everybody has beat around the bush about it, but that's it in black and white.

-
Back