How do I get pilot bushing out?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
The book says to use a chisel and try and cut it down one side, but I've tried this and its not as easy as it sounds. Plus I'm worried about damaging the inside bore of the crank. Any good suggestions?

this may sound crazy and i thought it was to until i saw it with my own eyes ...my buddy took and packed grease in the hole and used a rod the size of the hole and kept packing and it pushed it out now it was a mustang but it worked so i just saying...:scratch:

The book says to use a chisel and try and cut it down one side, but I've tried this and its not as easy as it sounds. Plus I'm worried about damaging the inside bore of the crank. Any good suggestions?
Best way is to have the correct puller But a cheaper way is to stuff the hole where the input shaft rides with wet toilet paper Find the biggest punch you can find to slide into hole Then pound on toilet paper Be compressing the wet toilet paper It will begin to press bearing outwards because the water and paper has to go somewhere

this may sound crazy and i thought it was to until i saw it with my own eyes ...my buddy took and packed grease in the hole and used a rod the size of the hole and kept packing and it pushed it out now it was a mustang but it worked so i just saying...:scratch:

This has worked for me every time! Make sure the dowel is a snug fit

If none of the aforementioned remedies don`t produce results, many auto stores have a remover you can borrow with a deposit.

Alright you guys are f'n great! Thanks!
Next time I head out to the garage I'll have a fresh baked loaf of bread under one arm and toilet paper in the other. Maybe add some beer to the mix. GIT ER DONE!!!

What you need is a pilot bushing puller.

basically a slide hammer with some jaws on the end.

there are other variation pullers aswell,some have a threaded rod that you can crank down with a ratchet to extract it rather than relying on your muscles like with a slide hammer.

I have had some pilot bushing come out really easy...BUT I have also had some that were an F'ing pain to get out.

you can go to your local parts store and pick the puller up new for probably $15-$25 or you can get the rentable puller kit and you just have to pay the deposit on it and when you are done using the tool you return it and get your money back.

Here is a link with a picture of the tool http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21GtRfbIHpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I taped one out and threaded a bolt in it one time and used a slide hammer on the bolt to get it out , once it move it jumped out , if all ells above fails.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I will probably rent the tool, but first I must try one of the old school methods of grease packing, or bread, or t.p. etc.
I'll let you know how it worked!

remember pack the grease and push it in and pack then start tapping it with a hammer it should come out..mike:headbang:

Well I failed at removing it with the grease pack method, then rented the puller from autozone and still failed, even though I gave it several valiant attempts.

Then it dawned on me... Is this really a pilot bearing? I mean, its such a thin looking sleeve. I'm gonna try and post a couple pics so someone can tell me what a bonehead I am for trying to remove something thats not even supposed to be removed (I hope).

Attachments

• pilot1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 172
  • pilot2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 175
I don't think you have 1 from where I sit lol it doesn't look like it. Mike

Thanks again for your replies fellas. I'm pretty much convinced now that super thin sleeve or bearing whatever it is at the back of the crank hole, its not the pilot bearing and not meant to come out. It does not look brass in color, just looks like steel.

I've looked at pictures of new pilot bearings online, and ordered one from Napa that I'll pick up tomorrow, and they look much thicker. I'm betting my engine was previously hooked up to auto tranny. That thin sleeve at the back may be the stopping point for when I drive in the new pilot bearing?

-
Back