How Do I Get the Brake Pedal Rod Out of the Back of the Master Cylinder Piston ??

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
Hi,

I have removed the old master cylinder from my '68 Dart to install a new one (manual brakes), and the new master cylinder does not come with a pushrod on it. How do I get the old pushrod out of the back of the old master cylinder piston assembly..??

Thanks,

Mark.

Put the MC in a vice, put a rod or long screwdriver through the rod, and yank. It will come out.

They usually come out just before you crap your pants from pulling so hard.

NOTE: I said usually! Sometimes they don't come out until after you crap your pants.

Next time, just loosten the nuts that hold the master to the firewall. Once it's loose enough, you can slip a thin bar, or screwdriver shaft between the firewall and the back of the master. Then, go inside the car and pull up on the brake pedal. Once the rod is out, finish removing the master.

George

Put the MC in a vice, put a rod or long screwdriver through the rod, and yank. It will come out.
I would recommend you do it the other way around when the master cylinder is out of the car. Clamp the push rod in the vice leaving about 1/4-1/2" space for a pry bar between the cylinder and vice and lever if off that way.

-
Back