how do I get this out??

-

412 Stroker

Reaction score
One of the adjuster nuts (on my Harland sharp rockers) and the top part of the adjuster broke and from what I can tell is most likely in the lifter galley. I can get one of those flex tube LCD camera's to hopefully find it anybody think I might be able to get it out without removing my intake manifold?? Has this ever happened to any if you??

get a little extendable pocket magnet or the long tool that has the button on top and the 4 metal grabby things on the end... all else fails off comes the manifold..

You should not have to remove the intake. Unless........it has fallen down on top of the camshaft and or into the oil pan......which is possible, because there is plenty of room for it to fit. You should be able to remove the valve covers and see it if it is in the intake valley. Good luck.

A friend of mine bought a short wide 85 Chevy for CHEAP, the previous owner had one of this cheap multi piece air cleaner studs with a brass collar. It ended up vibrating loose and dropped the brass jamb nut, collar and a steel stud that was about an inch long. We pulled all of the plugs and used a flexible camera to find the magic cylinders. The two pistons had some serious dents in them. His camera came with a few clip on attachments and one of them was a magnet. We had them out in about 20 minutes. Compression checked out decent and it still runs several years later. The collar never made its way into a cylinder.

You should not have to remove the intake. Unless........it has fallen down on top of the camshaft and or into the oil pan......which is possible, because there is plenty of room for it to fit. You should be able to remove the valve covers and see it if it is in the intake valley. Good luck.

Well its not in the head I looked and used an led light, I also removed the distributer shined light down that as well nothing. I have a knockoff airgap so I can't see down into the lifter galley. That's why I was hoping that I can see it with the camera. Now say the worst happened and its in the oil pan do you think it will do any damage if I leave it in there?? I do have a windage tray wouldn't that stop it from going into the pan??

Well its not in the head I looked and used an led light, I also removed the distributer shined light down that as well nothing. I have a knockoff airgap so I can't see down into the lifter galley. That's why I was hoping that I can see it with the camera. Now say the worst happened and its in the oil pan do you think it will do any damage if I leave it in there?? I do have a windage tray wouldn't that stop it from going into the pan??

You most certainly CAN see into the lifter valley. Remove the valve covers. Look through the huge holes beside intake ports.

No, if you can verify it is in the pan, I don't think it would hurt anything. But what did it do on the way down? Removing the intake is pretty simple if you cannot see it through the heads. 20 minutes at best.

I've changed out bad lifter/s working thru the holes in the head,, cast iron heads with rocker shafts removed..

hope it helps..

You most certainly CAN see into the lifter valley. Remove the valve covers. Look through the huge holes beside intake ports.

No, if you can verify it is in the pan, I don't think it would hurt anything. But what did it do on the way down? Removing the intake is pretty simple if you cannot see it through the heads. 20 minutes at best.

Rusty taking the manifold off as you say us not a big deal I agree there. My concern with that is with the tradewinds manifold, actually its a stage 3 from summit, I know its an airgap knock off, I have do you think I might have an issue getting it to reseal?? Any suggestions on that,like what gaskets do you like to use..

Rusty taking the manifold off as you say us not a big deal I agree there. My concern with that is with the tradewinds manifold, actually its a stage 3 from summit, I know its an airgap knock off, I have do you think I might have an issue getting it to reseal?? Any suggestions on that,like what gaskets do you like to use..

I don't see why it would be hard. I would use the 360 port size gaskets from FelPro that have the silicone already around the ports. Eliminate the end seals and use a good thick bead of RTV on the ends and you should be fine. Don't forget to put RTV on the intake bolt threads or crankcase pressure will make oil migrate up the bolt threads and pool on the intake.

I don't see why it would be hard. I would use the 360 port size gaskets from FelPro that have the silicone already around the ports. Eliminate the end seals and use a good thick bead of RTV on the ends and you should be fine. Don't forget to put RTV on the intake bolt threads or crankcase pressure will make oil migrate up the bolt threads and pool on the intake.

You are really an asset to this site Rusty you are exactly correct I had to pull all the manifold bolts out last year and rtv them as I had oil pooling on the floor of the manifold.although now it is looking like I will have to do it all over again.... After i pull the manifold...Thanks for all your help I appreciate it!!!

-
Back