How do I identify a 6v electrical system on an older British car?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Slightly off topic of Mopars I know, but I need your insight.

I have been asked to resurrect a 1954 Morgan.

The family (mom, son and daughter), have some background on the car, but not much help beyond that. I am not too afraid of the basic points ignition, etc, but it will DEFINATELY need a battery, as it has been sitting for 17 years. The battery is funky, but doesn't tell me if it is 6v or 12v, and I can't seem to find any info online...

When did most auto switch over to 12v?

6V battery has only 3 vents (a 12 has 6) watch out for ground, the britts had a thing for positive ground.

Don't know. When our family had a '54 Jag XK-120, my recollection says that it was 12V, don't remember positive or negative ground. Seems to me it used two small six volt batteries in series, back behind the seat. Been a long time.

"Which ground" is important. If you aren't sure find out before you hook up a new battery. One way to tell would be to turn EVERYTHING off you can think of, except the headlights. Unhook the "B" (bat) wire at the regulator for safety until you find out. With the headlights on, hook up the battery "you think" the correct polarity, BUT wire a stop lamp bulb with clip leads IN SERIES with one battery cable. This will limit current in case of a SNAFU. Then look at the ammeter and make sure it moves to "D" (discharge, to the left)

Frankly, before I'd touch that thing, I'd be looking for "the book."

-
Back