How do I install a LA distributor in a Magnum?

-

Magnum87

Reaction score
I’m working on putting my motor together etc... before I drop the motor in the truck I would like to put the LA distributor in the 5.9 magnum. I’m running a carb etc... I’ve never really have messed with a distributor before so I’m assuming I need to bring number one up on the compression stroke? Then set the distributor? Do I need to pull the distributor gear? Also where should the rotor point? Basically I need all the info I can get on this!! Thanks

You should get a factory service manual.

It’s a 5.9 mag but I’m running a carb and going to run a stock electronic Chrysler ignition. It’s going in a 87 Dakota

Go download a factory service manual. mymopar.com It will tell you exactly how to do it. Pictures and all. The Magnum and LA time up the same way. You could have downloaded it and timed it up by now.

Ok here is the DEAL Please read this CAREFULLY

The REASON that distributors are installed a certain way (except) is because the assembly line folks can rinse, repeat, and the tune up mechanics "see what they expect."

(The except is weird stuff like odd fire V6's and other engines where the dist. towers are not evenly spaced, etc)

So far as it "runs" YOU CAN toss the dist gear in there any old way at all, and toss the dist in right after it, blindlolded.

Bring the engine up on compression, NOT TDC, but rather WHERE YOU WANT initial timing. Now look "where is the rotor" coming around to which tower? That is your no1 wire. Time it and run it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The so called "right way." The dist gear drive tang is supposed to point to the front intake manifold bolt hole on the drivers side (small block) The reality is that some distributor drive tangs are NOT in the same place as "others" so you can not always get it in the exact "factory look" spot. this means you might have to walk the dist gear around a tooth or two to do so.

The dist only goes in two ways, you point the rotor at the no1 tower as "close as can" and stick it in there

Bring the engine up on compression, NOT TDC but where you want timing, and rotate the dist. CW (SB) to retard timing. Now slowly bring dist back CCW (advanced) until points just open (use a meter/ light etc) or until the reluctor is centered in the pickup core

Drive gear location, LA:

smallblock.jpg

Right out of the SHOP MANUAL which can be DOWNLOADED FREE from MyMopar

distributorSB.jpg

Last edited:
Ok here is the DEAL Please read this CAREFULLY

The REASON that distributors are installed a certain way (except) is because the assembly line folks can rinse, repeat, and the tune up mechanics "see what they expect."
biggest reason to me, for doing it factory style, is the vacuum can has room

biggest reason to me, for doing it factory style, is the vacuum can has room

Exactly! That's why I always use the factory recommendation. The vacuum can has plenty of room for timing adjustments.

It’s a 5.9 mag but I’m running a carb and going to run a stock electronic Chrysler ignition. It’s going in a 87 Dakota
Nope just drop it in anyway if it backfires flip it 180 the other way. Then adjust your timing. If the v-can is in the wrong way pull the drive gear out with a magnetic and adjust. Magnum motors have specific distributor gear, make sure to use what cam with and not mix parts just in case.

you do not want to be grinding all the break in lube off
set it where you want the timing as described twice above and it will fire in half a crank if it has gas
what slant said about correct dizzy gear

do you need a special oil pump drive gear on a magnum with roller cam ? on the gm trucks we had problems with dist gear wiping off because people refused to use the light 10w30 oil they would put 15/40w and in about 30000 miles they would be towed it ,gm used the same gear for both roller and std cams.

Nope just drop it in anyway if it backfires flip it 180 the other way. Then adjust your timing. If the v-can is in the wrong way pull the drive gear out with a magnetic and adjust. Magnum motors have specific distributor gear, make sure to use what cam with and not mix parts just in case.

Why in hell do that when you can just as easily do it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME??

Either

1.....Pull the no1 plug, stick your finger in, bump the starter until you feel compression, bring the engine up to the timing marks where you want it timed, and drop it in or

2.....If the valve covers are off, bring it up to TDC and look at the no1 and no6 valves. Whichever pair is closed, that cylinder is ready to fire

Why in hell do that when you can just as easily do it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME??

Either

1.....Pull the no1 plug, stick your finger in, bump the starter until you feel compression, bring the engine up to the timing marks where you want it timed, and drop it in or

2.....If the valve covers are off, bring it up to TDC and look at the no1 and no6 valves. Whichever pair is closed, that cylinder is ready to fire
Cause its my motor.

So you and the OP are the same guy?
Nope, its a roller motor no cam break in needed, does not matter which way you do it as long as it gets done period. He asked a question i answered what worked for me. Maybe he does not want to read your big post with diagrams just need that **** to fire up

Nope, its a roller motor no cam break in needed, does not matter which way you do it as long as it gets done period. He asked a question i answered what worked for me. Maybe he does not want to read your big post with diagrams just need that **** to fire up

There is a right and a wrong way to set up an engine. There is no need to phuck around with it. Put it in right and start it up. As much as a PITA as a God Damn slant is to screw with the distributor, I would have though you of anybody would be happy to not have to screw around

By the way I'm 72 and I learned to static time an engine in somewhere around 1972

There is a right and a wrong way to set up an engine. There is no need to phuck around with it. Put it in right and start it up. As much as a PITA as a God Damn slant is to screw with the distributor, I would have though you of anybody would be happy to not have to screw around

By the way I'm 72 and I learned to static time an engine in somewhere around 1972

Okay i got your age, so whats your address ill send you a postcard :popcorn:....

Now maybe people will listen when I suggest a factory service manual......but probably not.

Now maybe people will listen when I suggest a factory service manual......but probably not.

It's a guy thing...

We don't look at a map or ask for directions until we're lost... We don't use instructions to build things until we try it ourselves and run into a problem... :BangHead:

Why would you expect us to use a service manual???? :realcrazy:

-
Back