How do I kill these $#%@ gophers?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I had a gopher problem when I first built my house 15 years ago. They dig up and leave huge piles of dirt in the yard. Originally I would see one, shoot it and stuff it down the nearest hole. That would take care of them for a year or more. After 6 or 7 years of this, I haven't seen a gopher until this year. They are digging my yard up terribly and I never see them. I found a nest a few days ago and my Sig 1911-22 took out a whole family. I think that pissed them off, because I have 8 new piles in my yard. I can't even find where the hole is. I finally found a hole in a very small pile and dropped a poison smoke bomb in it.

Anyone have any idea how to kill these bastards? Or how to find the holes? If I find the holes I can gas them and hopefully take out the whole colony.

you asking the wrong crowd.You need to go straight to the top.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv87T1CQF8E"]Caddyshack Clip - License to kill gophers - YouTube[/ame]

Seriously a labador does wonders against gophers.

Didn't you ever see "CaddyShack?" Just kidding. Use rat poison unless you have pets.

You need to kill the grubs then they will go away.

Look at the Lowe's store for grub killer. May take until next
season to see them gone or at least after the grubs are gone.

I have indoor cats, but the neighbors all have dogs. I can't put out poison of traps in case anyone's pet gets into it. If I could find the holes I could drop the poison in, or one of my poison smoke bombs. You would think the hole would be easy to find because they push up so much dirt, but it's not. I even tried poking a sharp stick into the ground to find the soft spots. No dice.

I'm guessing you are dealing with pocket gophers. Take a metal rod about 7/16-1/2" diameter and grind a point on one end. Poke it systematically around a fresh mound 12- 18" away. When you hit one of their little runways you will easily feel the void. You can then dig up a spot to find the tunnel to apply some poison or gas You can also place a pan trap in the runway so the pan is level with the bottom of the tunnel, cover the hole with some license plates and then cover the plates with dirt.(if the gopher sees light he will pack the area with dirt, if it's dark he'll run right into the trap) Use yoour rod to secure the trap chain. I trapped hundreds of the little beggars when I was a kid on the farm.

I'm guessing you are dealing with pocket gophers. Take a metal rod about 7/16-1/2" diameter and grind a point on one end. Poke it systematically around a fresh mound 12- 18" away. When you hit one of their little runways you will easily feel the void. You can then dig up a spot to find the tunnel to apply some poison or gas You can also place a pan trap in the runway so the pan is level with the bottom of the tunnel, cover the hole with some license plates and then cover the plates with dirt.(if the gopher sees light he will pack the area with dirt, if it's dark he'll run right into the trap) Use yoour rod to secure the trap chain. I trapped hundreds of the little beggars when I was a kid on the farm.

Thanks! They are really destroying my yard.
Tried the stick thing, but will try again if the little bastards dig more tomorrow. I'm hoping the one hole I did find and gassed took out a bunch of them.

They are like "fricken" rabbits! Multiplied by 10. If you find the holes, poison is the best way to rid yourself of them. (drop in holes.) These little critters have more than one escape route so block as many holes as you can.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQE9A425ls&feature=related"]This is how to get rid of gophers instantly!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

after that ... remove their food source.

the other idea. hook up your exhaust pipe to the hole and fill it with exhaust gas. We used to do that with rats on the farm.

We trap them proffesionally for a golf course, along with beavers, muskrat and anything else that tears up the greens. But find the hole then put a box trap in it and cover it with dirt except for a tiny hole in the end of the box for light. Its just a wooden box with a wire "hoop" in it the when it goes inside it triggers it and it sinches it up like a snare or a nuce. Harmless to a dog because it usually goes off when dug up and no spikes or anything. Can also use the giant propane torch and try burning them out lol never tried it but looks fun

the other idea. hook up your exhaust pipe to the hole and fill it with exhaust gas. We used to do that with rats on the farm.[/QUOTE]

This. Pour a little Sea Foam in the carb, or via a vacuum hose if fuel injected, to generate some smoke and you'll see every hole that's connected. To find them all, as smoke appears, wait a couple minutes, then plug the holes, leaving the farthest open. I've seen smoke come up in a feild on the other side of a paved road. About 25 yards away. Leave it running, go watch TV for an hour or so, done.

Gopherkillismaximus, he digs four holes around them then he digs a trench and git's em

Attachments

• boating 010.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 179
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3QIkQRGtI&feature=related"]Caddyshack - Kill Golfers? - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back