How do I make my dome light fade away when you shut the door?

-
I think there is a 12v delay timer that is adjustable for how many seconds of delay.

Some of my machines have timers for the amount dwell time before retracting, but they are 110 AC.

I am lucky that here in town we have "Electronic City"

818-842-5275

http://www.electroniccity.com/

They have super sharp guys that have helped me with projects for years.

They could help you real quick over the phone.

My gut feeling is that this is a about a $15 project.
(or was before the price of everything went up)

Not that it matters now, but your Caravan's dome lamps are controlled by the body computer. It makes the dome lamps fade-to-off by sending them electricity in a gradually decreasing pulsewidth. It uses the same method to dim the instrument lamps except it responds to the position of the knob on the dash.

I'm trying to understand what purpose this would serve other than to look cool. I mean, when I shut the car door, I don't look back.

I agree completely. When I shut the door on my Olds, I always wonder ---because it's happened-- if I bumped the dome light switch to "on" or "is it the delay?"

check the new Car Craft magazine....if you are looking to eventually add more modern day conveniences they have an article about a new electric system, replaces the old harness and can be made to do darn near anything! Seriously on my wish list!

Just for kicks StrokerScamp. This has been a long winter and I'm looking for something to do on the cheap. It's 14 degrees out right now.

Hey............ wait a second.

Depending on the system design, can't you use an electrical delay component from a windshield wiper delay.

I've seen some that are adjustable.

Of course you have to check if it can be wired for a single cycle,
and those timers delay the "off" time instead of on time.

Just throwing it out there, cause it's a 12v delay timer that is found on cars.

you will probably have to reverse the polarity of the dome light circuit for any thing to work. Most old cars have the hot wire going to the lights and the circuit is completed by the door switch to ground.

I called "Electronic City"...................

I am lucky that here in town we have "Electronic City"

818-842-5275

http://www.electroniccity.com/

They have super sharp guys that have helped me with projects for years.

They could help you real quick over the phone.

My gut feeling is that this is a about a $15 project.
(or was before the price of everything went up)
I was wrong, this is not a $15 project, it's a less than $5 project.

As mentioned a few posts back you use a capacitor.

Have to experiment a bit to see what serves the purpose best.

He said get a 100, 1000, 3000, and see what it yields in delay.

He mentioned that if a 1000,(for instance), gave a two second delay, a 2000 would give a four second delay,.. etc.

I asked , how much?

A 16v 4500 capacitor cost $1.11

Someone here just has to break the code as to what works, for say a six second delay.

Post the project as a thread.

He also said that when you power up the dome light there will be a slight delay because the capacitor gets filled, then passes the power on to the dome light.

He also said just to use alligator clips until you see what you need, then solder in what works best.

-
Back