How do I protect my road wheel caps?

-

e50095

Reaction score
I bought a set of repro center caps for my road wheels off ebay. Is there anything I can do to keep them from pitting prematurely? They look great, but the quality of this stuff isn't what it was at one time. Would a layer of turtle wax help to keep them from rusting or pitting for the next several years. As a sidebar, I went with the road wheels because the center caps and trim rings for regular rally wheels are $550-600 now, which is a bit insane to me. I need that money for tires. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks fellas....

I keep a Zep squirt bottle full of used motor oil for launching active ingredient into hard to reach underbody recesses. If the car is going to sit for a spell I’ll coat other susceptible surfaces with it. Then wipe it off later. Not very orthodox or eco-sensitive and prolly causes cancer in California… check the tire and wheel forum to see what the pros do.

I bought a set of repro center caps for my road wheels off ebay. Is there anything I can do to keep them from pitting prematurely? They look great, but the quality of this stuff isn't what it was at one time. Would a layer of turtle wax help to keep them from rusting or pitting for the next several years. As a sidebar, I went with the road wheels because the center caps and trim rings for regular rally wheels are $550-600 now, which is a bit insane to me. I need that money for tires. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks fellas....
Simple, meguars wax.

Yup, a good waxing will sure help.

Also, rock dings can be a problem. What I do is coat the inside of the cap with bed liner from a can. Makes the metal pretty solid without adding a bunch of weight

-
Back