How do I pull Instrument Cluster?

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Well, that pretty much sums it up. I'm trying to pull all the fake wood grain trim on the dash to paint it and possibly make a new gauge panel. I cant seem to get the gauge cluster to come out from the dash frame. Any tips before I break something?

Thanks in advance

dont know what you're working on and there are differences. heres a tip. Once all the visable hardware is removed, grab the speedo cable under the dash and push it towrd the inst. panel . It should push the panel out. You're gonna need the extra length to reconnect the cable anyway. Hope this helps.

Its a 71 dart with the standard dash- long sweep speedo. The one thing I see that may be holding me up is a big silver piece that hangs down below the speedo and is behind the dash frame. Looks like I need to pull up and twist out to get it to clear the frame. I'll try to remove the speedo cable now.

Don't know if you got custer out yet,but if not you can lower the column,remove the cable and unplug both wire connectors,remove the headlight handle and remove the wiper switch and the cluster will roll far enough forward to come out.It must roll foward so cluster faces the floor to clear the part you are talking about.The wiper switch and headlight pull keeps that from happening.Not all that hard to do Good Luck
The head light switch has a botton on top of the switch pull the light on reach up to the switch and push the botton while pulling the handle it will come out.Unhook the battery before all this.

Wow. That was NOT pretty! But its out. I'd sooner take a beating with a wet garden hose than do that again!!!

-
Back