How do I reassemble accelerator pump?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I'm attempting to rebuild my Carter afb on my 67 383 Cuba for the first time and have run into some hiccups. I took a picture of the accelerator pump that came out of the carb and the new one that came in the kit. How do I transfer over the needed parts to the new one and why is the pump return spring longer and looks thicker? Does the spring shorten over time from being compressed? What will a slightly thicker longer spring do if put in? I'm pretty sure that the rebuild kit was the one specified for the 67 383 manual trans Carter. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Carl

image.jpeg

I'm attempting to rebuild my Carter afb on my 67 383 Cuba for the first time and have run into some hiccups. I took a picture of the accelerator pump that came out of the carb and the new one that came in the kit. How do I transfer over the needed parts to the new one and why is the pump return spring longer and looks thicker? Does the spring shorten over time from being compressed? What will a slightly thicker longer spring do if put in? I'm pretty sure that the rebuild kit was the one specified for the 67 383 manual trans Carter. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Carl

View attachment 1714938407
I thought that I'd also ask a couple more questions and add them onto the continuation of the post. I hope you don't mind the questions but I'm trying to learn as I go along. I took a close up picture of the pump jet housing area of the carb and when I removed the discharge needle inside there wasn't a check ball or bb in there but one came in the rebuild kit. Was my carb missing that or does it belong on my carb? Does anyone know of a reference guide video that could walk me through the process of the rebuild for my carb? I know that different model Carter carbs have different parts in the rebuild sometimes. Thanks again.

Carl

image.jpeg

First the kit... Kits are designed to fit a long list of carbs that were modified/improved over the years. A heavier pump piston and modern ethanol friendly materials will require a stronger return spring.
I think you do see a pretty machined seat area for the check ball. I always gently tap on the new ball with a plastic drift and small hammer to ensure a good seat there.
p.s. closely compare length/height of seats and needles in the kit with those removed. If these are not identical you might never get the float/bowl fill lever to work right.

The spring and clip that is on the old accelerator pump need to be transferred to the new one, which means you have to compress the spring and remove the clip. This sometimes feels like it needs three hands, but it's not all that hard. Do yourself a favor with the new pump. GENTLY use a small screwdriver or other similar tool to just BARELY stretch the leather outward. Go around a few times and be VERY careful not to rip it. If you don't, accelerator pump action can sometimes be erratic because the leather doesn't "seal" against the accelerator pump cavity. You should lightly oil the leather too before you install it, and make sure the S-clip that attaches the pump to the pivot arm looks like an S from the front. If you install it like a reverse S, it may not work right.

The spring and clip that is on the old accelerator pump need to be transferred to the new one, which means you have to compress the spring and remove the clip. This sometimes feels like it needs three hands, but it's not all that hard. Do yourself a favor with the new pump. GENTLY use a small screwdriver or other similar tool to just BARELY stretch the leather outward. Go around a few times and be VERY careful not to rip it. If you don't, accelerator pump action can sometimes be erratic because the leather doesn't "seal" against the accelerator pump cavity. You should lightly oil the leather too before you install it, and make sure the S-clip that attaches the pump to the pivot arm looks like an S from the front. If you install it like a reverse S, it may not work right.
Thanks Redfish and Aaron65 for the feedback and advice. So I take it as that the check bb should be located under the discharge needle and may be seated in there underneath. I may have to find a way to unseat it to get the old one out?

Take it apart and reassemble whatever's in there. It might be a weight and check ball, and it might be a "pointed" weight. If it's a check ball, do what RedFish said.

-
Back