How do I replace my old Parking Brake Handle with the new one?

-

340_dart_power

Reaction score
A Body Forum Ladies & Gentlemen:
Does anyone know how to remove the old parking brake handle in my 1971 Dodge Dart GT? I have the Year One replacement which appears to be an exact duplicate of the beat-up original, but I do not see how to remove the old one to install the new one. It looks as though there is a pin which has to be pushed out with a punch from either the right or left side, but I'm reluctant to monkey with it before I get some guidance.
Anyone been down this road before? Suggestions are most welcome.

P1280006.jpg

P1280009.jpg

P1280011.jpg

PC300001.JPG

The split pin isn't tapered so it can be driven out in either direction. It can be done in the car but best to take the assembly to the workbench. Good luck

The split pin isn't tapered so it can be driven out in either direction. It can be done in the car but best to take the assembly to the workbench. Good luck

Thank you, Sir. Can you tell my automotive mechanical expertise is not at an extremely high level?

Thank you, Sir. Can you tell my automotive mechanical expertise is not at an extremely high level?

No big deal there. People on this site are more than willing to help. I can usually figure things out myself, but I do not want to waste too much time re-inventing the wheel, so I ask the folks here. Most have seen it or done it. Very helpful.

How much did the new Year One handle cost you? How much would your old one cost me to get it to London Ontario Canada?? Yours looks better than mine...it's half broken off, must have snapped at some point.

The Big E

How much did the new Year One handle cost you? How much would your old one cost me to get it to London Ontario Canada?? Yours looks better than mine...it's half broken off, must have snapped at some point.

The Big E

I believe the Year One replacement cost me $33.00 U.S.
Give me an address via PM and I'll ship you the old one once I get it removed, if you'd like.

I made a little tool for pushing the pin out of the handle on the car by drilling a hole in a small block of hardwood and then cutting it in half. I filed the hole in one half to match the taper of the handle. Then I drilled a 5/16" hole where the pin gets pushed out. I rounded up a solid pin slightly smaller than the diameter of the split pin. A small C clamp pushes the pin out nicely and the block with the clamp push the pin back into the replacement handle easily without damaging the new handle too. Sure beats trying to knock it out with a punch under the dash.

DSC_0019.jpg

I made a little tool for pushing the pin out of the handle on the car by drilling a hole in a small block of hardwood and then cutting it in half. I filed the hole in one half to match the taper of the handle. Then I drilled a 5/16" hole where the pin gets pushed out. I rounded up a solid pin slightly smaller than the diameter of the split pin. A small C clamp pushes the pin out nicely and the block with the clamp push the pin back into the replacement handle easily without damaging the new handle too. Sure beats trying to knock it out with a punch under the dash.

Very nicely done, thank you for the post & info.
Have I mentioned what a pleasure it is to be on this site?

-
Back