how do I shorten a steering column housing

-

ta3834bbl

68 cuda 383 project
Reaction score
Ok, don't haze me too bad, I did search it and didn't find any posts or pictures on shortening the OUTER steering column housing. After upgrading my heads on my 383 where the headers barely cleared, now it hits. So, I need someone to point me to the posts for cutting the column housing back to the firewall and moving the bearing. Don't need to re-post it if one already exists, just help point me to it. :happy1: And if it has info about removing the column shifter stuff in the same post, that would be a bonus as I have a console car. Thanks. I am going to try to figure it out in about an hour no matter what :)

sorry for the crappy pic but its all i got. i ordered the derlin plastic bushing from RMS. you dont even have to take the column apart. I just took the column out of the car and took off the steering coupler. I then took it down to the local exhaust shop and gave the guy $5 to cut the housing where i marked it with a tubing cutter. drop off the old **** and slide in the new bushing. done deal

While we're at it, "young" where'd you get the U joint?

While we're at it, "young" where'd you get the U joint?

got the joint from summit. it is a UNISTEER brand. it is 3/4 DD shaft on one end and i think 5/8x 36 spline on the other. it has a bolt that clamps it on both ends. cost me $69. it is polished stainless. takes out alot of slop in the steering.

Brand: Unisteer Performance
Manufacturer's Part Number: 8050290
Part Type: Steering U-Joints
Product Line: Unisteer U-Joints
Summit Racing Part Number: UIS-8050290

Steering Universal Joint Style: Standard
Shaft End 1: 5/8 in. 36-spline
Shaft End 2: 3/4 in. DD
Universal Joint Material: Stainless steel
Universal Joint Finish: Polished
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Pinch bolt style.
In-Store Pickup: Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

These Unisteer U-joints will provide that reliable piece for your steering system. They are manufactured from durable stainless steel, so they can handle high-pressure steering applications. Available for a variety of steering shafts and splines, Unisteer U-joints are sure to have an application to fit your vehicle. The U-joints feature pinch-style fasteners on either side for a strong, safe connection.
Warranty

-
Back