How do I tighten up a manual mirror

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Brand new repop manual mirror from PG but it has a nasty droop. Sold the old ones and can't remember if there is a tightening screw I can't see. Any help, thnaks:wack:

There should be something inside the base, where the mirror head attaches. If you've already got the mirror on the car you'll have to take it off.

The mirror head on some of the manual mirrors is held tight to the base pivot ball with a retainer that is located behind the glass. It has a cup in the middle that the ball sits in and rotates around on. It has a couple of small screws that tighten it down against the ball to keep it tight so it won't droop. If yours is the basic manual style like many of the 60's mirrors, the only way to get to the retainer is to break the glass. That sucks! I know this because I've had to do it on my Dart to fix a loose fitting head.

I had the same problem, unfortunately you have to take out the mirrored glass to tighten it up. The problem I had was the glass broke when I attempted to remove it, so I got 2 new pieces of glass cut just in case. So if you can remove the glass without breaking it, it's easy. 2 small screws and tighten them to where the mirror has some friction but not to much, I also used some lock tight on them. 4 years later still good.

This was the mirror for the Demon.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 371
Just put a drop of super glue in it. It will snug things up and you'll still be able to adjust it. I've fixed many of the old mirrors with no tightening screws (just rivets) by putting a drop of super glue on the ball. Lasts a long time too.

Rather than glue, in the old days we used to put a small hose on the end of a tube of silicone caulk. Slide the tube under the glass till we felt it hit the plate and ball, we then just pumped some caulk in and let it setup. Most of the time it would tighten it up enough to not droop but still move somewhat if need be.

If it is a brand new Mirror I would send it back, that's just me though.

-
Back