How do I turn my engine over on the floor

-

63 A rag

63 A rag
Reaction score
I have a slant engine that's been in storage a couple years and want to "turn"it over-ie:make sure it's not froze up.How do I do this when there isn't a nut on the front of the crank? I pulled the damper thinking maybe there's a nut behind it ,but notta.Also I don't have a flywheel/bellhousing or torque converter to hook up a starter.Clue this dummy in-Thanks,Dave

One way would be to take a sample crankshaft bolt down and get some longer ones at a hardware store. These do not have to be special, grade 5 (3 "points) would be good, but grade two would probably be OK Get some long ones, maybe 2" long

Then just thread them into the crank across from each other, and put a prybar in between.

I have a slant engine that's been in storage a couple years and want to "turn"it over-ie:make sure it's not froze up.How do I do this when there isn't a nut on the front of the crank? I pulled the damper thinking maybe there's a nut behind it ,but notta.Also I don't have a flywheel/bellhousing or torque converter to hook up a starter.Clue this dummy in-Thanks,Dave

Put the damper back on.
Pull all the spark plugs.
Squirt some oil down each cylinder.
Spin it by hand with the damper.
Put plugs back in.

One trick I use is to take a bar and weld 2 bolts on it to fit into the holes in the pulley to turn it over

Hey dartcuda how about bringin' that trick bar over so I can try it? You're what,a quarter a mile away?8)

Thanks everyone for the tips! Dave

If I knew where it was right now I would bring it over to you..It's probably down in the shop, and you know what a mess that is.

Put the damper back on.
Pull all the spark plugs.
Squirt some oil down each cylinder.
Spin it by hand with the damper.
Put plugs back in.

X2!

A lot of slants did not come with a bolt for the crank. You can trim about 1/4" off a 318 one or space it with another thick washer and it will work.

Just fire it up like this guy...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUFxYUsi1o"]YouTube - 340 mopar[/ame]

Or like this guy....8)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgYgQYrW7Y&feature=related"]YouTube - 340 Mopar Test Run[/ame]

Put your harmonic balancer back on. Screw in two bolts part way through the balancer. Put a screw driver in between them and turn the motor with the screwdriver.

take plugs out and oil as said and take an old serpentine belt and slip it over the crank snout and fold it tight around the crank and wrap it around one time. slip other end thru a one inch wrench and fold around like a strap wrench. unless you have one, if so use it.. I use serpentines to pull stubborn oil filters too.

-
Back