How do u unseize a 340 motor...or any motor

-

440magnum

Reaction score
Just wondering about other members experiences. My way was as follows. Removed the plugs poured tranny fluid into the holes and tried to hand crank the motor. Nothing. A mechanic told me to use diesel fuel, not oil, fuel. He said it was thinner and a better lubricant than tranny fluid. Tried that. Nothing. Kept at it. One day I tried hand cranking it and buddy wanted to go for a beer. Don't we all? I said one more try. I gave a good heave on the breaker bar and damn if that motor did'nt break free. And damn if that beer did'nt taste great. Anyone have any different,better ways. To unseize a motor , not drink beer :)

Fill it with diesel fuel literally. Let it sit and once every few days bump the crank with a breaker bar. Saw a guy do that to a 289 in a couger. Didn't even rebuild it. Got it freed up drained it put oil and filter and drove it.

Fill it with diesel fuel literally. Let it sit and once every few days bump the crank with a breaker bar. Saw a guy do that to a 289 in a couger. Didn't even rebuild it. Got it freed up drained it put oil and filter and drove it.

An old machinist told me to use diesel and acetone..nail polish remover... Buy it at dollar store...said he used this to unfreeze old Tractor motors that had been sitting out.. I tried it on 3 sets of gears I bought real cheap... IT WORKED !

Put the block in a heavy leaf bag or container mix 8 oz or so with 1/2 gal of diesel ..pour it down the cylanders...seal it up tight and let it sit for a week or 2
In the sun if possible..

There may be a modern a modern solution for 100x the price ?

i like aerokroil for rusty seized bores. usually only takes a few hours to unseize the rings. I also gently tap on both sides of the piston top to get them rocking a tiny bit as im trying to get the engine freed up.

Marvel Mystery oil to the top. I let it sit for a day. With a Breaker bar on the crank, I'd give it a few pounding shots with the hand every now and again. She was free and spinning the next day.

My dad used Kroil in a 4 cylinder Detroit Diesel that got a bunch of rain water in it. Took a few days but it worked. I've got a 354 Hemi in the garage soaking with KROIL right now.

Have used Marvel Mystery Oil, diesel, and even used oil that I have drained out of vehicles...mixed it with kerosene and let it sit. Check every day or so, keep all cylinders fill and every now and then give it a jarring shot with an impact gun.....just don't use it turned all the way up. You are not looking for torque, just the impact.....

One thing I've learned on seized motors: If it's out of the vehicle, pull the pan. Spun rod bearings can lock a lock a crank something fierce.

-
Back