How do you add a center console 71 dart?

-

2kids

Reaction score
Hey,
Can anyone point me in the right direction to start adding a center console to my 71 dart swinger.

What all will I need?

Is it a pretty easy conversion? Oh, and I forgot to mention it's an automatic.

thanks,
Darcy

First, you'll need a center console....just kidding.

As far as I can tell its just brackets that hold it in. You can buy bracket kits for them. I have seen them some where but I can't remember where, and I can't seem to find them again...

2 kids...Pretty sure I have a set of brackets...but we can talk about that later....
the difficult part is determining where to put the HOLE and where to mount the brackets..... I dont know of ANY templates and I had to move mine ONCE to get the positioning right....otherwise you cant find either PARK or 1st. the next part is the brackets the ones on the shifter are easy one hole is marked A the other is marked B...and YES it does make a difference.....the trying part is below. often times the rod bushing is toast and they are not easy to find. the second part is setting up the actual shift levers with the correct sized rod so you find all the gears Neutral & park....THEN comes the kickdown..... if you HAD a V8 then you likely have the kickdown linkage, if not either try to find the right stuff ( which also aint easy) or buy a LOKAR...pretty simple installation....once you call their support line...the instructions in the package aren't fit to wipe your a$$ with...... how fast do you need them....cuz I know they are buried in one of 30 totes.... let me know

2 kids...Pretty sure I have a set of brackets...but we can talk about that later....
the difficult part is determining where to put the HOLE and where to mount the brackets..... I dont know of ANY templates and I had to move mine ONCE to get the positioning right....otherwise you cant find either PARK or 1st. the next part is the brackets the ones on the shifter are easy one hole is marked A the other is marked B...and YES it does make a difference.....the trying part is below. often times the rod bushing is toast and they are not easy to find. the second part is setting up the actual shift levers with the correct sized rod so you find all the gears Neutral & park....THEN comes the kickdown..... if you HAD a V8 then you likely have the kickdown linkage, if not either try to find the right stuff ( which also aint easy) or buy a LOKAR...pretty simple installation....once you call their support line...the instructions in the package aren't fit to wipe your a$$ with...... how fast do you need them....cuz I know they are buried in one of 30 totes.... let me know

Thanks for the help! I'm not in a hurry unless I win the lotto! I've got a pretty good list of things I'm wanting and working on on this car. I have always wanted the center console and I figure I should just work in that direction while I'm at it. Knowing what to do and what parts I'll need is all part of the process.

Thanks again!

Do you already have bucket seats? If not, the mounting points in the floor will need to be reinforced for teh bucket mounting studs. L8r

Jim

-
Back