How do you go about buying a car on the other side of the country?

-
About a dozen years ago I sold my Lincoln Continental convertible on Ebay. A month or so later a buddy of mine emailed me to ask me how come I was listing the car again. Turns out some scammer had downloaded all my photos and my description, word for word, and was "selling" the car on another site.

How did you guys make the actual purchase and do the title transfer? At some point it seems like you just have to send your money and hope a car comes back but is there some sort of way to send your money and have some protection or security in case the person has no plans on sending the car back?

Also how was the title transfer done? You had to put pen to paper at some point. Was it just mailed to you or did it show up with the car?
First I talked to both sellers several times. I knew them and where they lived according to their address. I looked the address up through their county and both times was actually able to see a pic of their house and confirm the address. I also goggled both sellers.
Over the years I've gotten to know my banker. Each time he called the bank and spoke to them to confirm that the seller indeed had an account, good customer, etc.. I wired the purchase money bank to bank.
Title before I bought the car I got the seller to take a pic of the title and vin of the car and send them to me to confirm. Both my purchases were over 50K so asking for something you pretty much got what you wanted. Title came to me certified mail after the money hit their bank. One buy I had to wait a couple weeks for the bank to release the title.

About a dozen years ago I sold my Lincoln Continental convertible on Ebay. A month or so later a buddy of mine emailed me to ask me how come I was listing the car again. Turns out some scammer had downloaded all my photos and my description, word for word, and was "selling" the car on another site.
Wow hear about that. Hope someone nailed his a**.

I bought a car that was about 1100 miles from me. I Googled the city and found numerous car repair shops. I called a few until I found one that agreed to inspect the car (on a lift) 100 percent for $59. They even sent me an inspection report. I bought the car (had it shipped) and it was exactly as advertised and exactly as inspected. It was well worth the $59. I offered to pay more they wouldn't hear any of it. I don't think you'll have to spend $200. Shipping was $1100, but that was 3 years ago. treblig

Agreed. I purchased my 60 Valiant wagon from around Denver. I paid a local shop guy $100 to go out and give it the once over. He did find a couple things that were not mentioned and it affected the price slightly (100 buck so the inspection was free). I used a shipper bidding site where you tell them what you have where and many companies bid. It cost me just over $600 bucks and took a week plus to get the car here and off the transporter. The car was on EBays and I paid via PayPal so I had some recourse. But everything went as planned. The title was in an envelope in the trunk.

so where is the car? I am sure someone here would go check it out for little to no money ..assuming it is somewhat close.

-
Back