How do you grind rod bearings to fit large filets?

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
I am working on a big block using an aftermarket stroker crank with large/wide radius's on the rod journals. I am told I must clearance the bearings by grinding etc.. How do you guys take material off the side of the bearing? Do they make special bearings for this?

you are told that because your crank is not true.take it to a machine shop and have it checked and turned in needed. I'll guess and say you have a 440source lol

you are told that because your crank is not true.take it to a machine shop and have it checked and turned in needed. I'll guess and say you have a 440source lol

i didn't have any issues with my 512 kit from them...

I know they make bearings for large/wide radius SB cranks. Haven't done any big blocks but I'd think they make them for them too since stroker cranks are popular and all stroker cranks I've seen are wide radius

Most Chinese cranks need the bearings tweaked. A few (the better ones) don't. I use a utility knife and remove material a little at a time. You have to be very careful because the bearing material will squish and push up the bearing surface if you're not careful and patient. Make sure you remove enough to get the true rod side clearance. The bearing should not be the part that sets that clearance.

good for you, but did you take it to a machine shop and have it put in a crank machine and have it checked? some people get away with it some don't.

of course... i had them check every thing and then i assembled it and re checked everything...

-
Back