How do you know if a 66 barracuda is a formula s or not?

-

Dervco

Reaction score
I found a 66 barracuda with a commando in it but do not know how to identify if it is a formula s car or not. Is it in the serial number or the fender tag? I have been visiting this site for a while and am looking for a 66 formula s with a automatic for about 4 years, now that prices are returning to a level that hobbies can enjoy cars again I hope to pull the trigger.

Not sure if 66 is the same, but a 67/68 have a 7 under the F on the fender tag.
Nothing in the VIN.
It was an option in one of the accessory groups, #36.
So 367 was Formula S and the 7 ended up on the fender tag.

1966 Barracuda with a Formula S option had a 7 for the option code also. I dont know what letter it is under on the fender tag but it might be the same as the 67. Seat belts with retractors were also a 7 on the code list, Formula S package lists ---273 Commando 4 bbl, suspension package with HD rear springs, HD torsion bars with sway bar, firm ride shocks, tachometer, 6.95x14 Blue streak tires, HD wide 14" rims, 14" bolt on style wheel covers, and the Formuls " S " fender nameplate. I have both a Formula S with air and a non S with the Commando 273 and air.

The 7 under the F in the fender tag is correct for a Formula S in 1966 also.
Thanks, Mark

This may help as well, type this into Google:
1962-1968 Option Codes
It is a pretty good pdf the codes.

I found a 66 barracuda with a commando in it but do not know how to identify if it is a formula s car or not. Is it in the serial number or the fender tag? I have been visiting this site for a while and am looking for a 66 formula s with a automatic for about 4 years, now that prices are returning to a level that hobbies can enjoy cars again I hope to pull the trigger.

You can buy mine!

Here's a Formula S fender tag, look for the "7" under the capital "F"...

MVC-004F-12.jpg

a 66 comando is more rare then formula s mostly all the same options,,,just not the badging,,or the stripe on the roof

did all the 273 engines have adjustable rocker arms or just the commando? I know the Commando has a solid lifter camshaft.

did all the 273 engines have adjustable rocker arms or just the commando? I know the Commando has a solid lifter camshaft.

They went to hydraulic cams in `68 and stopped using adjustable rockers at that time. You can find solid cams in the 2 barrel carbureted 273`s as well as the 4 barrel versions.

a 66 comando is more rare then formula s mostly all the same options,,,just not the badging,,or the stripe on the roof
That is what this car is, the body is rough but the car is complete, what do you think it is worth, do you know how many they produced?

This one may of had a stripe and has a rear defroster? my friend looked at it so I cannot be sure.

you can check kelly blue book,,,but its worth what some one is willing to pay,,,all depends on the market at the time you try to buy or sell,,,

-
Back