how do you remove a pinion bearing?

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding my differiantial because I had some differiantial whine and vibration. 3 of the 4 carrier cap bolts were lose. Which would explain my vibration. Anyways, I'm trying to change out my ring and pinion and cant seem to find a new rear pinion bearing anywhere. I was just going to reuse the one i have because my rear end was rebuilt not to long ago but I'm not sure how to press the bearing off? Whats the best way to go about doing this. Or where can i get the bearing I need without buying a whole kit? I need the larger one that actually is seated on the pinion. 489 case

A long long time ago, I removed the pinion bearing, or made it too easily removable, in the 65 Barracuda I had at the time that had a Ford 9" with 4.11's in it. I got on it hard and heavy, showing off, and nailed 2nd gear on a slight bend and removed 4 teeth off each spider gear and cracked off the cast housing into which the pinion bearing was pressed.

You need a bearing splitter and a gear puller or press, its on there pretty tight. The number will be on the side of the bearing pressed against the pinion, you should be able to buy the bearing and race at napa.

-
Back