How do you remove radio in 74 dart?

-

sniekamp

Reaction score
Im running into trouble trying to figure out how to remove my stock radio. The whole ac and heater core seems to be the main problem located directly behind the radio as well as the ash trey. Its not getting power and I just want to get it working. Where are the connections for power and of anyone knows what color is it? Its the old stock am radio.

I hope you have small fore arms. I just put one in my 73 duster340 with air. I had to take the glove box liner out and put in through that way. Good luck and have lots of fun.

2 wires for power to the radio. Red from the radio fuse, orange from dash lights for dial illumination.
To remove the radio...
Remove the under dash vent assembly. It has 2 nuts hidden inside holes from the bottom up ( 7/16 or 1/2 deep well socket I forget ) and a couple of small screws attaching it to the main plenum.
Remove 4 sheet metal screws that hold the ash tray hanger in place and remove it.
The radio has a support on the back ( nut on a stud ) that is attached to the dash with a sheet metal screw. Thin stem nuts behind the radios knobs ( 9/16 deep well I think )
If the speaker wires are disconnected ( black and a green in seperate connector from power ), The radio should drop to the trans tunnel.

Thanks guys! Im gunna try your way redfish and see how it works. Im glad to know what the wire colors are as well!

-
Back