How do you remove the reverse gear in an A-833

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I am currently in work on rebuilding the tranny and I have everything apart except that I cant get reverse out. The service manual says to use a suitable drift, but there is no room to get a drift on the back of the reverse shaft to punch it out. Any tips? Thanks!

Ken

I use a long brass pin, come through the input shaft hole. It's a little tricky, but once you get it to move a little it will pull right out.

hi, a real service manual shows a special tool to remove reverse shaft from case. its a bolt spreader, for pushing it out. just food for thought.

I made this spreader tool for reverse gear. Used a head bolt and a coupler and welded on other nuts.

red

Attachments

• 833 spreader (1).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 371
I am in the process also, I used a sliding C-clamp, the kind you get at Lowes etc. just put a socket over the reverse shaft (same size or smaller)
and it will slide right out.

millertoolman on ebag has factory remover for around 15 bux...but the large c clamp with a socket works well too...

I finally got around to working on the tranny this weekend. I have been wrapped up with the bodywork lately. I finally broke down and bought the service manuals and ended up making my own tool and everything popped right out! Thanks for all the inputs. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 2011-11-05_10-44-06_326.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 2011-11-05_10-44-17_296.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 2011-11-05_10-39-38_151.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 283
-
Back