How do you tell if a car is a Formula S or not originally?

-
is it possible to have a 67 barracuda factory big block car that is a non-S ?

This might answer both questions. From the 1967 dealership data book found at hamtramck-historical.com.
CCI05152011_00017%20%28983x1280%29.jpg

383's 67's were required to be forumula S's. I was just wondering how to tell a fake "S" from a real "S". The car I'm looking at is a 273

Fender tag should designate whether it's a Formula S or not.

if a formula-s there will be a 7 under the F on the fender tag. also look at the left side where the exhaust exits if a 273 car there will be a large notch/cut out in the rear valance about 6 inches long for the resonator. There will also be an E in the VIN. could also be a E vin and resonator for non formula-s 273 commando but not with FS.

It is possible to have a 273 Comando engine and not be Formula S. My "68" 383 Formula S came with 10 inch drum brakes.

The formula s was a package. Back in the day, you could order most if not all of the options by checking them of individually. If it is a 65, the fender tag will have 312 under the ABC, a factory tach in the dash and it will have a factory cutout for the resonator tip. The cutout would be included if you ordered the commando engine on the individual option checklist. I think, and I could be wrong, that the tach was a formula s item only. Of course the formula s would include the rally pack which was the larger brakes, 14 inch wheels, sway bar, commando 273, and badging.
I am currently building a 65 Formula S tribute car using parts from a basket case formula s. It will have documentation that show it is a tribute car.

Buckets and a V8 back in the early A body is a dead give away, the later would have
been badge as a Cuda and not Barracuda...... S package was V8 and never a bench
seat in an early A (S) package...all Bucket seat cars was S models 2 barrel or 4 barrel V8 cars.
(S) package early A's even had hub caps I believe

I've read that 67'/68' Formulas had a code 367. Not sure if it's on the fender tag or just the broadcast sheet?

I have both a 67 fastback formula-s with a 273 4-bbl, and a 67 coupe with 273 4-bbl non formula-s. So to answer your question YES you can have either with the 273 commando. formula-s in 67 will have an F7 on the fender tag, They both have resonator cutouts also as was standard with the 273 commando package.

It is possible to have a 273 Comando engine and not be Formula S. My "68" 383 Formula S came with 10 inch drum brakes.

Buckets and a V8 back in the early A body is a dead give away, the later would have
been badge as a Cuda and not Barracuda...... S package was V8 and never a bench
seat in an early A (S) package...all Bucket seat cars was S models 2 barrel or 4 barrel V8 cars.
(S) package early A's even had hub caps I believe
Sorry Mike this is not true.

I see!! They did not get a 2 barrel carb, my bad again :coffee2:
Hub caps and buckest for the 273 S :eek:ops:

Attachments

• 787px-1965_Plymouth_Barracuda_Formula_S.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 1966%20Plymouth%20Barracuda.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 206
this part memike, "all Bucket seat cars was S models 2 barrel or 4 barrel V8 cars".

In 67 they were either a 273 4-bbl or 383 4-bbl (commando engines). I have never seen a bench seat Formula-S that could very well be correct. (generally speaking) but bucket seats didn't make it an F/S car by default.

Was it the hub cap part or the carb part that was not true ? Looks like a late night post for me..... :eek:ops:

The formula s was a package. Back in the day, you could order most if not all of the options by checking them of individually. If it is a 65, the fender tag will have 312 under the ABC, a factory tach in the dash and it will have a factory cutout for the resonator tip. The cutout would be included if you ordered the commando engine on the individual option checklist. I think, and I could be wrong, that the tach was a formula s item only. Of course the formula s would include the rally pack which was the larger brakes, 14 inch wheels, sway bar, commando 273, and badging.
I am currently building a 65 Formula S tribute car using parts from a basket case formula s. It will have documentation that show it is a tribute car.

Bamacuda you could get a tach on a non S car. I have a 67 notch that is not an S but has the commando 273, factory tach and heavy duty rear suspension. The tach option is listed on my fender tag too so it's not something someone had added sometime down the line.

this part memike, "all Bucket seat cars was S models 2 barrel or 4 barrel V8 cars".

In 67 they were either a 273 4-bbl or 383 4-bbl (commando engines). I have never seen a bench seat Formula-S that could very well be correct. (generally speaking) but bucket seats didn't make it an F/S car by default.

Thank you Rani, so Buckets and a V8 back in the early A body is a dead give away is correct ? and S package was V8 and never a bench
seat in an early A ? I am still in the air about an early A S car having a 2 barrel carb, but it seems like I have seen one before somewhere :coffee2:

Here is a tag from my coupe. notice the lack of the 7 under the cap F in the fender tag but it also contains the 32 engine code as well as the certicard containing the E code in the vin. The hidden SO numbers on the core support and left rear q-pnl also match the fender tag.

Attachments

• IMG_2402.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 158
no a bench seat is a dead giveaway that it was not FS car, but you can have a regular B-cuda with buckets. F/S car would be 4-bbl but not a 2-bbl. someone could have added the F/S badges. And yes Tachometer was an option available on any for a price I think $46.00.

I second the coffee lol

Thank you Rani, so Buckets and a V8 back in the early A body is a dead give away is correct ? and S package was V8 and never a bench
seat in an early A ? I am still in the air about an early A S car having a 2 barrel carb, but it seems like I have seen one before somewhere :coffee2:

no a bench seat is a dead giveaway that it was not FS car, but you can have a regular B-cuda with buckets. F/S car would be 4-bbl but not a 2-bbl. someone could have added the F/S badges. And yes Tachometer was an option available on any for a price I think $46.00.

I second the coffee lol
Looks like I need the second cup before I post, :eek:ops: you are not Rani :eek:ops:
Sorry about that Rocky :coffee2::coffee2: I am up to speed know :D

now here is a tag from a formula-s got off internet. To dark to get mine. but you will notice the F with a 7 and the 32 (273 4-bbl) code on the bottom row.

Attachments

• 13386755-700-0.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 176
hehe I was feeling sexy and young for a few seconds anyway thanks for busting me bubble. lol

Looks like I need the second cup before I post, :eek:ops: you are not Rani :eek:ops:
Sorry about that Rocky :coffee2::coffee2: I am up to speed know :D

I think my problem has been I have been looking at the early A body 66 and 65
cars. :eek:ops:

-
Back