How do you tell

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
How do you tell the size of a generic cam. I have a new cam in my 383 and it has CBC E5 on it. I don't see any names.

I may be wrong but I have never seen "Stock" on any cam.

Normally text to denote INT LIFT/EXH LIFT/LOBE SEP/DUR @0.050.

It's been a while though and a whole lotta people here see em every day.

Years ago, non-motorheads called them 1/4 race, 1/2 race and full race too.

Did that ever have any real meaning?

I bet the CBC E5 is a code from the manuf. To indicate as above.

Possibly a custom grind!

Do you only have a camshaft?

Is it installed in a motor?

If not, ask what manufacturer he bought it from and ask them.

Do you only have a camshaft?

Is it installed in a motor?

If not, ask what manufacturer he bought it from and ask them.
Yeah the cam was in the block, but I don't know where the guy it is. I bought it from a guy around Austin tx about a year ago. And I'm getting it ready to be recleaned and built.

If you have a set of calipers, measure perpendicular to the lobe then parallel to the lobe and subtract to get the lift at the cam...

Then multiply it by 1.5 to get lift at valve...

You can at least get a ball park for the lift of the cam...

For the rest, you will need a dial indicator and degree wheel...

Since the cam and compression are so very important to having a successful build, measuring it is the best thing to do.
And,since you are gonna need the tools anyway,...........................................
Or I suppose you could send it out to get it fingerprinted.

If you have a set of calipers, measure perpendicular to the lobe then parallel to the lobe and subtract to get the lift at the cam...

Thank you for the info
Since the cam and compression are so very important to having a successful build, measuring it is the best thing to do.
And,since you are gonna need the tools anyway,...........................................
It looks like it's time to buy some tools. I've been wanting those tools anyway. But I have to get my wife a treadmill she wants, and I can't say no. Because she doesn't say anything when I buy parts, and bring them in the house.

Thank you for the info

It looks like it's time to buy some tools. I've been wanting those tools anyway. But I have to get my wife a treadmill she wants, and I can't say no. Because she doesn't say anything when I buy parts, and bring them in the house.
If my wife wanted exercise equipment, or a gym membership, or wanted Jenny Craig money, or needed yofa class fees, or wanted a personal trainer..... I'd drop that coin in a heartbeat!

If my wife wanted exercise equipment, or a gym membership, or wanted Jenny Craig money, or needed yofa class fees, or wanted a personal trainer..... I'd drop that coin in a heartbeat!
Yep, we gotta take care of the women who take care of us and stand beside us.

Drop it off at a local cam company and have them check it out. There is a place here in OKC that does it pretty cheap.

"fingerprinted" - LOL! :D

I like that one... :thumbsup:

Can you use "V" blocks do you need a block?

Yeah, your right it might be.
I bought a degree wheel and dial indecator to find my cam size did not know the first thing about using it, but thanks to AJ he walked me through it. He even put up with me being stupid, thanks AJ
There are alot of good people on this Fofum to help out.

-
Back