how do you treat your car for the winter

-
I lot of this depends, on outside or inside the elements, cold storage, or heated garage.

Oil change and full tank of gas and a stabilizer of your liking, I like StaBil and Sea Foam myself, many others on the shelf. Check the antifreeze, they do make litmus strips that will check the strength and ph. level. Acidity kills. (RadStrips)

Good cleaning, rodents hate clean, they hate clean smells, get the Mickey D’s sacks and French fries from out from under the seats and seat creases. Litter, pet food, pet blankets, personal clothing, last month’s dirty laundry.

I have heard using dryer sheets, month balls, hedge apples, little Buddha dolls, etc., etc. Bleach works for me, small container with some holes in the lid…

Outside storage, get the battery out, charge it and keep it warm. It will last a lot longer if you do. Tape over, or use screen wire to temporary plug air cleaner and exhaust. I have heard some people wax their cars and leave it on over the winter months, I have never did this...but I do use a chrome cleaner and leave on the bumpers.

Loosen all the belts, correct tire pressure, taking the tires off is a good idea, but if something catches fire I would like to get the car going as quick as possible, maybe another set of tires to sleep on? When I park my truck and trailer on the gravel, for storage, I back over strips of plywood, for the tires to sit on.

I like using a can of silicon spray and lightly spray over all the door and trunk weather stripping. Spray your favorite lubricant on the hood hinges, door hinges, trunk hinges, and key locks.

I wish I could afford a good car cover, I use old blankets, drop cloths, and towels then cover with plastic of your choice. I did hear clear is a better choice to use over black, rodent wise. I would never cover a car that I care for using plastic sheeting only.

Some places in my shop are tight, I bought a half dozen of the “pool noodles” stringed together and then draped over the car the noodle runs parallel with the center line of the car, helps on door and panel dings. Works really well over the car cover.

I jump around on my work sometime usually waiting for parts and money, I have a clip board hanging on the shop wall, pen attached with string. Very handy for me, running out short term memory. :)<{}

Last edited:
Dicer has covered it best. Never thought about lubricating locks and hinges and dealing with weatherstripping.

Oh boy, i got a disagree. Actually some service manuals had something very much along those lines For storage. Makes sense as hinges and metal on metal moving parts are bare steel, suseptable to corrosion.

Moth balls,damp rid in both trunk and interior,steel wool in the tail pipes.I remove the battery and put it on a float charger and then the car goes up on stands.Oh and I fog the engine with atf......

start em up and pump the brakes. Letting them come to temp and circulate the coolant. It would be a long stint if I let one of mine go two weeks. I might get a rust hole in the exhaust from condensation, but will not experience radiator rot if I keep the coolant circulating. If I know its gonna be sitting I try to get gas that has no corn.

-
Back