how do you treat your car for the winter

-
Wash it, drive it in the garage, disconnect the battery, cover it up and then wait for spring.

When spring comes, I connect the battery, check the air and fluids, dump some gas in the carb and go for a ride.

fill the tank.. add staybil or something similar to it.. put bounce dryer sheets all ove the car and surround the car with moth balls.. think thats about it..

fill the tank.. add staybil or something similar to it.. put bounce dryer sheets all ove the car and surround the car with moth balls.. think thats about it..

Why the dryer sheets? Never heard that one.

BTW, I've driven my junk on zero degree days. I used to ride my sport bike on zero degree days as well. But, I wasn't so soft back then.

Dryer sheets give the mice a nice place to nest.
Look for a product called fresh cab. Smells like Potpourri.
I use sea foam, disconnect battery. Make sure tires are aired up, better yet put car up on stands.

I just put some fresh gas in Sunday along with StaBil. The rear will be up on jackstands most of the winter anyways and I'll have a battery charger on it periodically. Fluids were changed last weekend and the tires were aired up. Good to go!

I wash it, then wax it, put fuel stablizer in the tank, put a little extra air in the tires, take the battery out and place it in my warm basement with a trickle charger on it and then put the cover on it.

Drive them! Im nearly done with my V8 swap. So I'll be testing it out this winter.
Two years ago I knocked the exhaust off of my daily driver when I hit a huge chunk of snow/ice. Drove it home and hopped in my dart. Drove that around until spring when I reinstalled the exhaust.

Fill the tank, add stabil, turn the key off.
Add a battery tender, if it is luck enough to be in the garage, (I have several classics, so some sleep outside under car cover).

i have heard of guys using cloves for mice too???
anybody start their car occasionally...every month or so over the winter?
...change the oil before winter?

If you have ceramic coated headers spray with wd40 and put cardboard down under them to keep rust build up off. That’s what the TTI instructions said.

You guys up north work on yours in the summer and store in the winter, us down here in south Texas work on them in winter and store them in summer (if it’s a non AC car).

You can always bring it to my house if you want me to keep in warmed up for you. I’ll make sure the tires are rotating at high RPMs for you and the alternator is charging the battery. I’ll even put fresh gas in it weekly.

yes change the oil, used engine oil has contaminants that could damage the engine over winter. I forgot to mention that when I posted earlier.

if i get a nice day during the winter i'll run it for a bit.. hell even drive it if no salt on the road.

i change the oil in the spring.

I'll try that if I ever store it for more than a month or so. Thanks for the tip.

My sister had problems with squirrels getting into her engine compartment and chewing on the wiring in her vehicle I told her to use the fabric strips and she has not had a problem with them since then.

I have been putting mine in the enclosed trailer, covered and with a 5 gallon bucket of charcoal for the past few years. Otherwise no special treatment. Does not get to cold here in North Georgia. The tank has non-e and 50/50 in the radiator.

Last edited:
-
Back