How does Customs figure out Duty Fees?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I want to buy a tonneau cover from the States and have it shipped to Canada. I don't want any surprise bills. I know it's gonna cost $65 for shipping. thanks.

Not sure since I usually cross the border to get my parts.

Word of caution: do not use UPS! The brokerage fees are outrageous!

I'm sure other members will be more help.

It all depends on how you ship if they will send it express post through the mail and label it american made auto parts it will be delivered to your nearest Canada Post parcel pick-up location duty free , if it goes UBS expect a $50+ fee that supposedly includes doody , they got me for $110 on a $100 purchase because it came in 2 boxes so they charged me $55 twice but I've gotten all sorts of parts shipped privately through the mail with-out any duty being charged { North American made auto parts are supposed to be duty free under NAFTA but there is also some Government paperwork involved with claiming that and it needs to accompany the shipment } , all the courier companies charge some sort of fee when you cross border ship , good luck

Its always nice when the tax guys hit you up for HST,PST,GST:angry7:

I use a shipping company in the states and bring stuff across the boarder myself

Thanks for the link but it looks like it's only good for up to $500. And it won't work anyway, it doesn't like my date. hmmm.
I will never use UPS again, been there. I called Fedex and they asked for the value of the package, I told her about $800, and she told me $65 brokerage fees.

Probably gonna be an extra charge when they knock on your door with your item.I paid to have Moser axels shipped here,then when they arrived they hit me up for another $100.Guess cause they were heavy?Got double burnt on the shipping!Why?Who knows,just expect extra fees.

Whenever we ship to our friends in the north, we try to use USPS postal mail if at all possible.

If the part is simply too large for USPS dimensional requirements, we are forced to go UPS ground which does incurr some pretty hefty brokerage fees. We have let our local UPS service rep know that we believe the brokerage fees paid by the customer to UPS are a little bit out-of-this-world. Heck, customers are paying more in brokerage fees than what it cost to send the package there in the first place!!!!!!

I feel for you guys in Canada, because it's cheaper in the long run to send parts to Europe.

I have a hardware store in the States I get everything sent to, then I go pick it up. I was going to just get a mail box in the Sates but I know that UB.S. will only ship to a street address.

I wish I could send it USPS, I have dealt with them a lot and have no problems but it is a tonneau cover I am looking at and they consider it to be oversize.

Sometimes it is just cheaper to buy in Canada especially when you just need one item. I usually try and put together large orders. I can then split my requirements up and placed orders with US companies where it made sense and local companies where it did not. For example, all MP parts come from Mancini. Even after large UPS bills I saved money. Some Canadian vendors still think our dollar is $0.65!

-
Back