How Does One Replace the Hood Springs/Hood on '65?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
We painted the '65 Formula S in pieces and now is time to replace components. I have a question regarding the hood since all the hinges and springs and nuts and bolts were removed.

How does one replace those two long rods that serve as springs? I was thinking to stand on the inner fender and just step on 'em one at a time.

And isn't there a little "hat" shaped clip/fastener that goes over the metal stub that sticks out of the body to attach the lower part of the hood hinge?

Thank you.

hood hinge rod.jpeg

Those rods are basically torsion bars and as such be real careful removing/installing them. They can tear a hand (or feet) up pretty good. I am not familiar with the parts you reference in your last paragraph.

personally, i would swap to gas filled struts (which I did). They eliminate the hood rods and definitely clean up the engibe compartment. I showed the procedure in my resto thread

There are two...right.

I have a 66 with the original spring setup, I can send you pics if you aren't sure of what the finished assembly looks like.

I have done these in my 66 Coronet trunk lid...not the easiest job. Something will get scratched...the paint or your hands

I have a '65 Valiant convertible that is not disassembled so I do have a reference, except its hard to see in the corner by the upper door hinge (it's dark in there). Mainly need a trick to just get them back on somehow.

In the middle/center of the first foto (from the '65 Signet convertible) one can see what I believe is a non-threaded stubby stud that comes out directly from the body. That is where the last hole in the hinge is drilled for. I don't see any clip on that stud, which is what I remember seeing when removing the hinge when I disassembled the '65 Formula S. Not sure though.

In the second foto (from the '65 Signet convertible) there is a bracket that is welded or bolted to the firewall that supports both the tension rods. I don't remember that part on the Formula S. What I do remember seeing (faintly) were a couple of clips that held the two rods together (just wrapped around 'em-no firewall contact), one on the passenger side and the other on the driver's side. Not sure though.

DSC07419.JPG

DSC07413.JPG

I posted on another thread today the search for the location of these parts, which I found in the same unmarked plastic bag. The washers may be what I am talking about (but I can't see them through the crack on my '65 Valiant convertible). The bolts who knows?

DSC07411.JPG

-
Back