How does the steering column mount?

-

CudaGuy383

Reaction score
I have an all original, numbers matching, 1969 Formula S, 383, four speed Barracuda. When I bought it, some parts had been removed. They were all there and came with the car but I did not get to see the steering column mounted in the car. It has a plate attached permanently to it and the plate has 3 holes about the size of a quarter. Obviously a standard bolt won't work.
My question is, does anyone know what kind of hardware is used to attach the steering column to the firewall and do you have any pictures. I believe the plate goes inside the car under the dash with a white foam gasket between the plate and firewall and the bolts go through into the engine bay but what fills the large holes in the mounting plate? Any info or pictures or both would help so much. Thanks.

I have all the bolts and or hardware you need PM me I will sell them to you.
Also there is also a black brace that goes underneath the dash that also holds the steering column up.
If no one beats me to the pictures I can get some later this afternoon once I get back to the shop
Thanks

I have an all original, numbers matching, 1969 Formula S, 383, four speed Barracuda. When I bought it, some parts had been removed. They were all there and came with the car but I did not get to see the steering column mounted in the car. It has a plate attached permanently to it and the plate has 3 holes about the size of a quarter. Obviously a standard bolt won't work.
My question is, does anyone know what kind of hardware is used to attach the steering column to the firewall and do you have any pictures. I believe the plate goes inside the car under the dash with a white foam gasket between the plate and firewall and the bolts go through into the engine bay but what fills the large holes in the mounting plate? Any info or pictures or both would help so much. Thanks.
Being Thanksgiving, we are slammed with family, but I will get you a photo this weekend. The bolts you are looking for big but not that special. I got mine from 6-Pack performance here in Albuquerque.

You don't need "big bolts" They are either 5/16 or 3/8" I don't remember. They either have captive large washers or you can use separate washers. The holes are big to allow aligning the column with the shaft at the box.

As mentioned, there is additional clamp up at the column.

Go to MyMopar if you don't have one and download (free) the closest thing you can get to a correct service manual and parts manual. You may have to settle for Dodge vs plymouth

-
Back