How does this trim remove?

-
thats not trim...

its an edge to the cat whiskers along the window...

in order to get them out you roll down the window and then work them out

I dont want to bend or break it but how does this trim remove?

72ScampTramp,
There is trim possible on the top of the door and at the edge of the quarter windows. These are not part of the cat whiskers at all. They are held in with spring clips, similar to those used on the door panels, but smaller. Slide something like a wide putty knife under it near the end and slide to the end until the knife hits the clip. Pry up gently and work your way to the other end a little at a time. If you try to remove the clip all at once, you will bend the trim. Good luck. L8r

Jim

72ScampTramp,
There is trim possible on the top of the door and at the edge of the quarter windows. These are not part of the cat whiskers at all. They are held in with spring clips, similar to those used on the door panels, but smaller. Slide something like a wide putty knife under it near the end and slide to the end until the knife hits the clip. Pry up gently and work your way to the other end a little at a time. If you try to remove the clip all at once, you will bend the trim. Good luck. L8r

Jim

well lets get a better pic of what he is looking at...

Ok I got the trim removed. on the to the window sweeps? What is the proper name for these? Know sources for them?

Attachments

• Door trim.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 301
It't not easy to get the Catwiskers out. It's even harder to get them out without damaging them.

Get a set of picks from Harbour Freight, they have a set that has screw driver handles and different angles like 90 degree and 45 on the end. Bought mine for about $3. then you have to pry on the clip while pulling up and rocking. Once you get one or two you will see where to put the pick to pry.

I would suggest taking the rear quater window armrest panels off first and you can easily see the clips that hold the catwhiskers on. After you get those off you will know how to get the front door ones off. There are several sources for these from about $100 to $150. Couple on ebay right now, also Dante's and Legendary interiors has them. The price varies but I am not shure who has the best Quality. I am getting ready to order mine so I am curious who has the best quality myself.

Christ I wish I saw this thread like half an hour ago before I went about trying to get my friggen windows/regulators out.

This is where I ended up with my little chrome pieces... I really hope these aren't expensive

10152011545.jpg

After 10 minutes of careful, careful prying trying my hardest not to bend them I added a little more force and SNAP. Clip broke loose, I bent the sh*t out of my trim and punched myself in the face with some needle nose pliers... and I still can't figure out how to get my windows out. :banghead:

The part that really sucks is that you didn't need to do anything with those to get the window out.

Sorry

Christ I wish I saw this thread like half an hour ago before I went about trying to get my friggen windows/regulators out.

This is where I ended up with my little chrome pieces... I really hope these aren't expensive

10152011545.jpg

After 10 minutes of careful, careful prying trying my hardest not to bend them I added a little more force and SNAP. Clip broke loose, I bent the sh*t out of my trim and punched myself in the face with some needle nose pliers... and I still can't figure out how to get my windows out. :banghead:

Little tip when working on these old cars..... If it's getting bent all to hell while removing, you are doing it wrong. lol

Don't feel so bad about that, I remember one thread where a guy bent the crap out of his Barracuda fastback (68-69 ) rear window trim during removal..... He assumed they were easy to find.

Restoration Specialties and Supplies at 814-467-9842 or 814-467-9282 is a great source for window felts (cat whiskers).

-
Back